My lesson on hope

Old 09-02-2003, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

My lesson on hope

Last year, with JT's help, I learned that I had been living in hope instead of living my life. It was a huge huge rug that got pulled out from underneathe me. My childhood was so traumatic that I used a type of fantacy hope to survive. When I realized it and looked at life as it was I felt totally bankrupt.

Realizing that all I had was today and looking at it for what it was wasn't a pretty picture. I started trying to enjoy what there was in today. I started trying to appreciate the small things. I started focusing on the good thing about my son who is an alcoholic and stopped letting my hope try to force him to be something that he isn't right now. I was missing who he is by doing that.

This year I've been trying to figure out what part hope can play in my life. I learned a very important lesson from my grand daughter this week. I have been giving her beginning piano lessons. She started showing an interest so I thought it was a good time to start. I taught her how to hold her fingers and taught her how to play each finger from C to G with both hands. She learned a small song in a week and caught on quick. She also learned to play a practice scale with both hands.

She did so well that the entire week I had the hope of her becoming a fabulous piano player. She got upset with me once because I told her to hold her wrists up and play correctly. I didn't want her to develop bad habits. I had a goal in mind for her.

A couple of days ago we were both sitting on the piano bench and I was complimenting her on how well she was doing. I began playing some base chords and just asked her to join in. Oh My God. With two fingers she played the most fabulous tune. Her timing was perfect. She played eighth notes and quarter notes and half notes and whole notes and new just how long to hold each note. She played the notes that matched the chords I was playing.

I laughed so hard I was crying. I think I actually felt joy. She looked up at me while we were playing,smiling and moving her head to the beat and we were jamming. She is only 5 years old.

So this is the lesson. I would have missed all of that if I had only hoped for a concert pianist or rigidly required her to perform systematically to my expectations. I would have missed all that joy if I was hoping for something that could only happen in the future. Can I still hope for her to become a fabulous piano player. Yes I can, but I can find real joy in what we have together today because all we have is today. I can sit down and play those chords and she comes running from wherever she is to join in. She also learned to enjoy today and not wait until she learns the whole song.

If you wait for life, you'll miss it.

Hugs,
MG

Old 09-02-2003, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's so beautiful, MG. Somebody pass me a tissue!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
boo
Paused

Thank you for sharing your story with us. That is a great lesson to learn--it sure is one I am going to have to learn now.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

M.G.,

I need the Kleenex too.

What a gifted grandaughter you have, and how
fun to share something so wonderful.

Thank you for the lesson M.G. I was just
thinking today how I live in hope. You just
pulled the rug out from under me.

Hugs,
Old 09-03-2003, 03:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ahhhh - This just conjures up a picture that makes me cry too. MG and granddaughter jamming and laughing - it's too beautiful.

What a wonderful way to explain things to us/me. My "hope" for the future has become entrusting prayers, and my joy lies within each day. Each day is a new miracle waiting to happen.

Please give that little angel a big fat hug from "Auntie Ann" and take one for yourself too. You both deserve it.

Hugs
Ann
Old 09-03-2003, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

Oh MG!!!! Thank you for sharing that story. Your granddaughter sure is a lucky and blessed little girl.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

MG

I have already mentioned your thread here on two other posts, because not only is this so very beautiful, but such a good example of living in the moment, so as not to lose it.

Thank you for one of the most beautiful posts I have every read.

Hugs
Ann
Old 09-03-2003, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Oh, Morning Glory, you sure do live up to your name, especially in sharing your experience, strength , and hope....Thank you so very much....

I love hearing about the victories! This is one of the big ones.

Ann, you did it....you are using JT's line...Isn't it fun.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((((((((((((((MG))))))))))))) That truely is beautiful. Someone hand me a kleenex.

I can see you and that beautiful granddaughter playing away. How sweet. Thank you ,thank you, thank you for sharing that.

Much love, Carole
Old 09-03-2003, 12:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ann, It is ok sweetie. It is called a senior moment. Ever....EVERY It all means the same. LOL!! We all knew what you meant. So I will just add to MG...What Ann said. HEHEHE

Giggles,
Carole
Old 09-03-2003, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I've had worse typos. Instead of Hugs once, I typed Bugs. Ewww.

Hugs and Bugs
Ann
Old 09-03-2003, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

MG, your story has once again restored my faith in how beautiful our lives are and how we do need to live each and every moment to the fullest! Finding pleasure in the wonderful things that children have to offer us. Reading this I look forward so much to the time when I am a grandmother too. They truley are our gifts from God!!! Give our little pianist a great big hug from me too!

Love ya,
matters
Old 09-03-2003, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hope you all didn't use all the tissue

because I need some now. Thanks MG, that was a beautiful story. And it's a day when I needed just the reminder that your story conveyed.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 09-03-2003, 08:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

MG -

I think that your granddaughter has a very talented and smart grandmother!

What a wonderful way to put life into perspective.

Thanks, Jo
Old 09-04-2003, 03:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh how beautiful!!! and I really can relate to the meaning of the story...this is something that I have to work very hard on..

Thank you
Constant