please comment

Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is exactly like my husband. It sounds as if you are struggling with letting him be in control of his recovery...I am trying to let my husband take control of his. The only thing that could help is if you saw a therapist (marriage/family) and in that safe environment were able to talk about your concerns to him. But unless he wants help and is ready for it, you are only going to enrage him by going to his boss (which I, myself, had considered) and push him further away from his own ability to accept his problem. Find a licensed counselor and try that as a first step. And then, take care of yourself......he obviously is incapable of doing that (taking care of you) right now.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I agree its the best decision, as 3rd parties are involved. but sara if you do it anonymously (sp) you dont have to worry about the doctor telling anyone else you were the one. so i would do it anonymously, one less thing to worry about.

There are al anon meetings online, perhaps thats the best option for you. And I am sorry about your therapist - why not find another one? you don't have to explain the husband why you go - make up something, childhood issues, whatever / if you are afraid he would take it badly.

Please take care of yourself.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good luck, Sara. That's a really brave thing to do.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You must protect the innocent people that he takes care of and in doing so will also protect him. Usually alcoholics are mad, resentful, denial, when faced by peers about such a problem. Peers can/will require that he be treated for alcoholism. Heath care pros have a higher success rate at sobriety because not losing their license is "very motivational" I have a friend that chairs a committee for impaired health care pros and he is also a recovered addict (plastic surgeon)

He will get over the rage and actually be grateful once recovery sets in.