I am a mess

Old 06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am a mess

My adult son just lost his wife and kids due to alcohol. He is in the bottle big time. He seems to lash out at me all the time. Haven't heard from him in 2 days, I am a mess. I tried al anon once, it didn't help
Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hazelgirl,

I'm so glad you found us. Have you had a chance to read the "Sticky" posts at the very top of the forum? Let us know if you have any trouble finding those......they can be a very valuable source of information and insight into where you might go from here.

I know this is a very difficult time for you, but try to remember the 3 C's:
You didn't cause your son's alcoholism
You can't control it
You can't cure it

I know you'd like to make all of his problems go away -- who wouldn't, with someone we love? But truly, these are the repercussions of his choices. It is terribly sad to have to watch -- but completely out of your control.

Is he seeking any help for himself, like AA or another program of recovery?

I'd seriously consider trying another Al-Anon meeting if I were in your shoes. Having an on-the-ground source of real live support and understanding might make these days more tolerable for you.

Hugs and strength

GL
Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Hazel,

I am sorry for your pain.

I agree with Givelove and want to encourage you to attend al anon if you can.

Take Care,

Miss
Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, hazelgirl, and I am sorry for the crisis in your life. Addiction always brings crisis.

Crisis can also be a turning point. But what I try to hold to, in my recovery from trying to save addicts from their crises, is that whether or not a crisis is actually a turning point is between the addict and God alone. The addict has his own life, he has free will, he has opportunity to heal if he chooses, and he has a relationship with a Higher Power which can be his source of comfort and direction if he so chooses.

I have a son, too, and I would be afraid and "a mess", just like you.

But if you know anything of addiction, if you speak to addicts in recovery, they will all tell you that what is happening to him (the chaos and misery) is a necessary stepping stone to recovery.

Many others here will be able to offer more support. Mostly I am concerned that you, as mother, will offer him safe harbor, and one thing I do know, that safe harbor will feed, not starve, his addictive disease.

AA is free, it is every day, and no matter where your son is now, he can find a meeting if he wants it.

Blessings to you and wishing you the very best outcome for all involved.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Hazelgirl.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hazel, the first three words of your post says it all. "My adult son." We don't stop loving them once they become adults, but our responsibility for them has ended. He has to find his own way. Read the threads and you will see many, many mothers here who haven't heard from their own sons in weeks, months, and sometimes, years. We have to let them go because they are going to do whatever they are going to do and you cannot fix them. Many times, they do come back and honestly seek help. I pray that your son with choose the right path. ((((HUGS))))
Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Suki... you saved me some finger work. My thoughts exactly.

Hazel...let go and let God.

Please find other meetings to attend. My first meeting was the worse and I've discovered that many people had the same first experience. We really don't want to be there and will find excuses.

You can do it.

Blessings, Kathy
Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi hazelgirl--
welcome- glad you found SR....
when you say Alanon didn't "help" what do you mean specifically - what kind of "help" were you looking for?

Help to get your son to stop drinking?(Nothing can help there except son himself if and only if he chooses)
or
Help with getting off the insanity train of loving an alcoholic and help with relief from the mental torture of engaging with their active addiction? Because that's where Alanon helped me.

Can you try some one-on-one counseling? Alanon isn't the only way to begin the process of getting your life back on track....

Stick around, keep posting - collectively we've seen it all on SR and you are not alone...
peace & (((hugs)))
b
Old 06-04-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Hazelgirl, thinking of you.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks gerryp. I did sleep better and was able to eat a small meal. My emotions are still a mess. I am sad, then mad, then scared, etc. I am getting mad at him more. My husband is wonderful, that is a blessing from God. I have a lot of people praying for us and that is all there really is.
Thanks for caring.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Let go and let God, hazelgirl.

Pray for him, think loving thoughts, hope for the best, and know that you cannot carry this burden for him. Only by carrying it himself will he learn and grow...do not rob him of this right.

And do take good care of yourself. Small healthy meals, adequate sleep, fresh air, and connection with others will help you to support yourself, and also will ensure that, should the time come when your help is requested, you will have the strength and the clarity you need to do so.

Hugs to you. Please keep checking in with us. Feel free to tell us more about yourself -- we're listening.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to hear you are taking care of yourself Hazelgirl.

It's difficult, to say the least, to try to block your feelings of sad, mad and scared but you are processing it all. keep taking care of yourself and keep in touch.

Hugs,
Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’m interested to know what you mean by you attended al-anon once and it didn’t help?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi Hazelgirl,

For many of us, writing our feelings on a journal helps a great deal. I am glad you have others with you to help you through this difficult time. Trust your son is in God's (or any higher power of your understanding) hands.