Question about journaling on PC....need some help

Old 06-02-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about journaling on PC....need some help

Last night I found my way back to journaling and found that it felt WONDERFUL to get things out and then to reread and actually be able to "see" things that others see when I write. I believe this may be just what I have been looking for, a better way to focus on me and work on me. I got away from it because of time/privacy issues (my son and I share a PC)

Anyway my question is.......I have Microsoft works-Tasklauncher (I'm not a real PC savy person as you may tell). It has a journal program in it which is neat-nothing with bells and whistles-just simple. I am trying to figure out HOW to save my journal entries to a CD WITHOUT saving them on my pc where they are accessible to my son should he click on it.

My goal is to have my journal saved to my CD and NOT have it accessible to anyone without the CD if that makes sense.

Or does anyone have another journaling program they use? Are there any good ones online?

Any input as to how I can get there from here would be awesome!

Many thanks
spirit

ps-journaling by hand is not an option.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Unless you're using a rewritable CD, you're only going to be able to save one file per CD. The regular CD-R discs are sort of a one-time-save only. Once something is saved on the CD, it is locked out from saving anything else.

You may want to, instead, get yourself a flash or "thumb" drive. If you're not familiar, they are about the size of a tube of chapstik. You plug them into a USB port. You should be able to get one for $10-20.

The other option is to set up different user accounts on the PC. Each time you or your son uses the computer, you would have to sign in with a password (you would each have your own). If you set yourself up as the administrator, then you would still have access to everything he does, but he would not have access to your stuff. This actually might be the easiest solution.

It's tough to explain on an forum, but if you search windows help for something like "user accounts" you should find instructions on how to do it.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well.....I primarily journal by hand.....but since you say that's not an option....(and of course us curious types all think, "Why not?" )

When I do journal on a PC, I do it in Microsoft Word, and password-protect the document. If you have that option, let me know and I'll PM you how to do it. It's easy, and whenever you open your journal you have to type in a password. Your son wouldn't know the password, he couldn't open it. Anyway...that's what I do. I'd be willing to bet there's also journaling software out there that is password-enabled. You might google 'journaling software'.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
You may want to, instead, get yourself a flash or "thumb" drive. If you're not familiar, they are about the size of a tube of chapstik. You plug them into a USB port. You should be able to get one for $10-20.
Flash drives are da bomb! I got a 2 gig flashdrive at Walmart for $12 I think (it's been awhile).

What operating system are you using, Spirited (Windows XP, Vista, etc)?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
Well.....I primarily journal by hand.....but since you say that's not an option....(and of course us curious types all think, "Why not?" )
Same here. I find that my journaling is more productive if I can do it anywhere the mood strikes me. The backyard, the park, under my covers....

The few times I have tried it on the PC, I found myself wanting to edit the typos, worrying about form and structure, etc. It distracted from the raw emotions.

Anyway, I think there are online options, too. You save it to a site on the internet that is password protected. Kind of like an email account.

L
Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I personally started journalling long before there were computers, lol

I usually use the the spiral bound 3 ring notebooks. Get a bunch of them on sale right before school starts.

There is something about the physically act of "writing" that is amazing. Usually what I think is going on in my head as it swirls around, and comes down my arm to my fingers and into the pen or pencil is totally different than what I 'think' I am thinking.

I have used the computer or my laptop, but have not received the same satisfaction that I get from the physical act of WRITING.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 06-02-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ago

I "journal" by emailing myself

Password protected, available anywhere there is internet on anyone's computer

With ***** it "stacks" so by opening your latest entry you can see everything you wrote on that particular subject if you like
Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For the curious peeps here-lol, I have severe corpal tunnel in my right hand....after a day at work-I work in the secretarial field, I can barely hold silverware at dinner......
I too, like the whole whereever the mood hits me journaling and was even thinking of getting one of the newer small size lap tops for that purpose.
thanks so much
Spirit.....
ps-i have windows xp on my home pc.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Spirited, I have a disability in both hands (had a severely compressed nerve in both arms that had to be surgically moved) that precludes me from any lengthy writing with pen/paper, so I do understand. Typing on a keyboard doesn't bother me at all, but I can't grip a pen for long, regardless of the size/shape.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I email myself AND carry some sort of notebook in my purse at all times.

I prefer the computer journaling because my handwriting is so messy I often can't figure out what I wrote if I try to go back and read it later.

My 3rd grade penmanship teacher would be crushed!!