We sent our mom to rehab

Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We sent our mom to rehab

:praying

Hi, I'm new to the forum but not new to alcholism...last Wednesday my sister and two brothers had an intervention with our mother who has been drinking daily for the last 30 years and convinced her to go to rehab. It's been extremely emotional for us all....but we had enough of her alcoholism and her antics it was affecting every aspect of our lives and we knew that if we didn't get her help now she would die soon or kill someone else. It's hard and we too have to take it one day at a time....I miss her and I'm worried about her mental status being that she hasn't been sober in three decades and I hope her body can take the adjustment...

I guess I just really need support being that I'm the oldest and the "STRONG" one and no one ever expects me to break down...I just want to lay somewhere and cry but I don't even have the strength for the tears....

I need prayers, support, and encouragement.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm so sorry for all that you are going through. You will definitely find the support and encouragement you need here!

I hope and pray that your mother will grab onto this opportunity with both hands, but I also hope that you and your siblings will get the help YOU need for all that you have been through.

Hugs, prayers, and best wishes, HG
Old 05-27-2009, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck to all of you, I hope your mum decideds she wants to make it work.

I know what you mean about being the strong one, but everyone needs support from time to time. Maybe showing your family that you need it too might take some of the pressure from your shoulders.
While your mum's being looked after elsewhere, take the time to look after yourself.

Welcome to SR by the way.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to SR!

You have done all you can for your mother. Time to take care of yourselves. Have you gone to counseling or alanon? Both of those may be helpful to you. I have members in my alanon group that are adult children of alcoholics.

Go ahead and let your tears flow. As the oldest, you were the responsible one that everyone looked to for answers. You can let someone else be in charge now. It's okay.

You can grieve the loss of life as it was. You can also feel the anger that may come from having given so much of your time to your mother's addiction. These are your feelings to feel. You own them.

A support group or counselor may be able to help you get in touch with all of your feelings and help you express them in a healthy way. Take care of yourself!

We care about you!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I am a mom who's kids did an intervention and I went into rehab. I thank my kids everyday for helping me to help myself. I just celebrated 8 months sober. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I found being in the rehab, the first time I didn't have to worry about anyone but myself. You did great and its the best gift you could have given your mom.
Welcome to SR
Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

take this time to let the rehab do their job while you exhale and take care of you.
Get to some alanon mtgs., work-out, spa day, long walks...whatever brings you joy.
Way to go that your family got her to go.
Alanon may help you figure out how to be upon her return.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement....

I have decided to start going to al-anon meetings.... I need to deal with the pain, anger, frustration, and depression that I sometimes feel...

In talking to my husband of 11 years, he mentioned that everyday my mom has been a part of our relationship and now he may be able to have me to himself, not likely, but a lovely idea

I'm 30, my sister is 25, and my two brothers are 23 and 24..My mom's drinking destroys our lives - we are dealing with so much emotionally and mentally that I can barely focus on my own children.

I'm glad to be here, you guys are awesome and thanks so much!!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

If you work the 12 steps through al-anon and stick with it long enough it will change your life. It will improve All your relationships and maybe teach you a way to be with your kids that your mom was unable to be with you.
Your husband is right. Your mom's addiction has cost you a lot !!

Put your focus now on your own recovery from this family disease.
You are prob. more depressed than you realize. It is time to get some joy that you deserve.