Waiting on 90 days

Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Waiting on 90 days

I know 90 days is a huge milestone for a recovering addict but why? I have read that the success rate goes up if you hit 90 meetings in 90 days? Will things start to get smoother and come easier for my spouse and for me? We have our entire lives wrapped around the last 90 days, what can i expect?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

What will you do in 90 days to help yourself?

There are no magic wands after 90 days. It takes at least 30 days for the liver to even begin to think about repairing itself from abuse. Sleep patterns don't get better until after 4-6 weeks without alcohol. Mental clarity takes 30 - 90 days for some to begin to feel like a fog is lifting. The body will take it's own time to retrain itself to absorb calories from food instead of alcohol. And just maybe, some of what is being said at an AA meeting will start to sink into that clouded brain. Just maybe, the addict will begin to hear what you've been saying all along. Because up until sobriety takes hold of that diseased brain, all the addict is hearing you say is "blah, blah, whine, whine...."

I'm a recovering alcoholic. That's how it worked for me.

In the meantime, alanon would be a great place for you to share with others who have lived with active addiction and seen recovery work, and some are still living with addiction and learning tolerance and how to take care of themselves.

Do something for yourself while your spouse is working on getting better.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dirtyd I am going to post on PAWS since nobody ever made me aware of this and it helps to understand that it's going to be a long string of 90 days and then some.

Don't feel guilty when you wonder about these things. There will always be those that tell you just to think about you...but some people just have an easier time moving to self than others. As long as you are moving towards the goal of not letting him consume your days, it doesn't really matter if you break records getting there.