My turn to rant...

Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My turn to rant...

Rude and inconsiderate people usually don't take up space in my head for long. Did you ever have a few days where it was just one thing after another with people and then some butthead puts the icing on the cake?

Well, that's been the case with me, and today was the topping. My 20 year nannies for a couple, with kids ages 6, 4, 2, 1. The mother is a school teacher somewhere in Wichita (anywhere from 36-50 miles away, not sure what school), and he is a diesel mechanic with his own shop about 25 miles south of here.

She's usually babysitting from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm on average. The kids were in a daycare that the mother wasn't pleased with, so having a nanny come to the house every day is a huge blessing for her.

My opinion is these two parents are budding alcoholics at best. The amount of alcohol in that house is astounding and he drinks the majority of it.

That being said, my 20 year old got braces last year. This has been a dream for a long time, not just for aesthetics, but she had surgery on her bottom lip several years ago for removal of scar tissue from the misalignment of her teeth, and accidentally biting her bottom lip.

She sees an excellent orthodontist who has two offices, one in east Wichita, and the one she goes to in west Wichita. The west office is only open certain days, and every time she goes for an adjustment, they automatically schedule her for the next adjustment weeks in advance.

She always lets the parents know well in advance the day she has an appointment so they can plan accordingly for someone else to relieve my daughter early that day.

Every single time she has had the relief not show up/not work out last minute, and I've run up there to watch the kids.

I do NOT mind doing this for my daughter. If she has to reschedule last minute, often they can't get her in for several more weeks. She's had a problem with one wire or another coming loose in the interim several times now, and it's a must she makes those appointments. The loose wire moves, causes her pain, and it has to be taken care of.

Today she texted the mother to see who was going to relieve her for her appt today and when, and the mother texts back that no one can relieve her today. She wasn't even going to tell my daughter, just let her sit there and wait for a no show!

Amber called me upset, and I told her they are rude and inconsiderate. She said the mother always apologizes, and I told her apologies are fine if the behavior isn't repeated over and over.

So it's back up to watch the kids today, and Amber has already texted the mother that this probably isn't going to work out. She's tired of the increasing problems with that job, and so am I.

She goes back to full-time at Pizza Hut this summer (she's only working 2 evenings a week right now), and is going to talk to the manager about full-time past the summer.

At least the kids will be down for a nap when I get there. I cannot lift the 1 year old as I have lifting limitations, and he is a frigging chunk! Last time I wrenched my back picking him up. He wears the same size diapers as the 2 year old if that gives you any idea!

Okay, rant over.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aren't ya tempted to drop them off at the principal's office????????
Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey DeVon, I keep thinking about this from FreeBird's post this morning, for some reason:

The obstacles in our path are not blocking us - they are redirecting us. Their purpose is not to interfere with our happiness; it is to point us toward new routes to our happiness, new possibilities, new doorways.
Maybe this is how things are supposed to happen -- Amber is supposed to learn from this situation and let this job go, to make room for something better?

I never regret saying no to disrespectful people. I'd rather eat ramen noodles for a month then reward someone for treating me poorly. Good for Amber for exploring other options.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Sigh. There are jerks everywhere, and I'd bet most don't even think they're being jerks.

You all know, I'm desperate for work, and I heard of a local guy up the road needing help. Well, he sells things from a mobile trailer, sometimes setting up on the side of the road etc. Flags, chalk donkeys, oranges. Stuff like that.

What they hey, I'm not too proud to sell garden donkeys and angels on the side of the road.

But - guy won't stop talking about sex. No, I'm NOT interested in the fact that you're horny. No, I don't really want to know about some young thing showing you that she really was a redhead. This man is in his mid 70's.

So, I quit going. I'm mooching off my family, and I can't even keep a job selling chalk donkeys and piggy banks on the side of the damned road because I'm not willing to be made uncomfortable by some stupid man who can't be respectful.

People are jerks.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
But - guy won't stop talking about sex. No, I'm NOT interested in the fact that you're horny. No, I don't really want to know about some young thing showing you that she really was a redhead. This man is in his mid 70's.
OMG, I wouldn't be able to handle that job either! Ugh!

I'm out of here, probably won't be back till late this evening as my granddaughter has her big 8th grade graduation tonight, and that's out of town. I'm putting my camera in the car now so I don't forget later!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have a great time Freedom!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What are "chauk donkeys"?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chalkware, or gypsum figures. I think.

Like garden gnomes and angels.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Freedom.. :ghug

Feels great to get a bit ranty and let it out huh? :ghug

They (the couple) are liberty takers. They don't have to arrange alternate care-giving when your daughter has to go for an appointment.. because your daughter kindly does that for them... she drafts your help and you being a supportive Mother gives that help. Win Win for the couple huh.

Kudos to your daughter for recognising it and taking steps to move away from it.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I hope you're feeling better after getting that out. . . sometimes it just feels good to let it all hang out! I keep laughing at what liveweyerd said about the principals office. Can you imagine the Mom teaching her class and being called to the principal's office to see her kids sitting there? Oh, to be a fly on the wall there!

Kudo's to Amber for letting the Mom know in advance that she may be needing to find someone else soon. Some people would just say screw it and not show up. With people like that, it sure would be tempting to do wouldn't it? Sounds like Mom's principals rubbed off on her daughter!

It really irks me when people apologize for behaviors that they keep repeating over and over, thinking that saying I'm sorry makes everything ok. How's about saving the meaningless apologies and just change your behaviors! (Hummm, seems to me I heard this alot in the past from my family and friends!)

At least it sounds like your evening will be nice, watching your Granddaughter's 8th grade graduation.

Love & Hugs,
Judy
Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the kind words. 8th grade graduation was really nice. I've got several pictures to resize/edit and I'll load them up in a new album here at SR and post a link when done.