Crayons, coloring books and serenity

Old 05-15-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crayons, coloring books and serenity

When I grew up we were FAR from wealthy. We ate good and were clothed but extras weren't possible for a widow with two small children. My father passed away when I was 2 and my oldest brother was called into the Army. My middle brother (7 yrs older than me-9 at the time), my mom and I moved and mom started a whole new life for us......many miles away.

One of the things I remember most, was crayons. We never had much money for "luxerys" or "toys" and when school was ready to start mom would get me the BIG box of Crayola Crayons with the sharpener in the back and I would feel like a million bucks. Soooo many colors, all brand new (no hand me downs here) and sooo many ideas in my head as to what I could create, my imagination soared. There was little that compared to my box of crayons, and NOTHING that compared to how RICH I felt when I got them. I could sit and color and design for hours and clear my mind of any worries (yes even as a small child I worried immensely), I felt completely relaxed at peace, and serene.

Weds nite while shopping with my son, I found myself drawn to the Crayola isle at our local WalMart. Maybe it was that this week has been topsy tervy with me feeling "off" and confused in a few areas to say the least (HALT didn't even start to cover it), or maybe it was just me longing for simpler times when things were just easier.

So there I was in Walmart staring like a wide eyed child at all the new stuff crayola has out, when my eyes settled on my favorites.....the big ole' box with the sharpener in the back and endless colors. I "discreetly" tucked them in my buggy amoung all my "grown up" purchases and "casually" asked my 12 yr old son where the coloring books were as we were strolling away from the isle. His reply, without missing a beat was "PROBALLY BACK IN THE MID LIFE CRISIS SECTION WHERE YA GOT YOUR CRAYONS!" I had to laugh out loud in spite of it all.

I thought several times between that isle and the counter about putting the crayons back, I mean really "How old am I?", but I just kept remembering the feelings that they used to bring when I was little. Each time I tucked them further down in my buggy Before I left the store I was lucky enough to find me a Sponge Bob Square Pants coloring book and YES I bought that too-lol.

Last night after all the chores were done, I sat at the kitchen table and after much begging from my son to PLEASE share (I never liked to share my crayons with ANYONE-lol) he and sat there and colored, something we hadn't done in years. I felt that same serenity creep over me from years ago, and the happiness of years gone by when life wasn't so complicated, and hearts didn't break. I think my son enjoyed the time together as much as I did.

All of it got me thinking that maybe this weekend I'll just take some time off, from being a grown up and running and hurrying and working and cleaning, and just spend it with my son. He's growing up sooo fast and I don't want to miss it....

Maybe this weekend I'll keep in mind that "Easy does it" and we'll just color some more and enjoy it one day at a time....

Thanks for letting me share
spirit
Old 05-15-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a great post! Thank's for sharing your story, it brought tears to my eyes!

I think taking a weekend off from being a grown up and just enjoying the time with your son is a great idea! I say go for it and enjoy!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I hope you enjoy those moments, you made me remember when I colored with my sister, we will probably do it again!! and with my mom too. What a wonderful way to spend time with loved ones!! Happy coloring weekend !!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spiritedgrl123 View Post
I "discreetly" tucked them in my buggy amoung all my "grown up" purchases and "casually" asked my 12 yr old son where the coloring books were as we were strolling away from the isle. His reply, without missing a beat was "PROBALLY BACK IN THE MID LIFE CRISIS SECTION WHERE YA GOT YOUR CRAYONS!"
spirit
That's funny! Could be worse things you could do for a Mid Life Crisis. My friend decided she wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle at age 47, so she bought herself a Harley!

I love to color, it's fun, relaxing and really releases stress. I teach preschool, and have the opportunity to color nearly everyday, it's actually part of my job!

Google color sheets and you can find lots of color sheets to print for free!

Have fun!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love to color too. We never could afford the big big boxes of crayons, but I eventually bought them for myself Beautiful post, spirited, thank you. What else have we long denied ourselves, choosing instead to make others happy? Maybe we should all find our own personal crayola therapy and get it/do it for ourselves this weekend....
:ghug
Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kids have an amazing way to bring us back to simpler things. I feel that my 18 month old has helped to strip the fakeness that I've put on like layers over the years; the same stuff that masked all my problems to others, and that enabled my unhealthy behaviours.

She forces me to live in the now and it helps me as I'd become hypervigilant and anxious about the future (i.e. will AH drink again.....). And you know? I'm having loads of fun colouring, peering at ants and snails, and not caring who sees me cooing and making crazy faces at her in the supermarket!

Oh and I came across a real hit with my 5 year old nephew - if you have Photoshop you can take any digital photo, and use the "photocopy" filter to create a colouring page of your favourite photos. Adds a personal touch to the whole colouring thing!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can't post things like this... I'm 7 months pregnant and tears are streaming down my face. What a great post! ((((((((((( hugs ))))))))))))
Old 05-15-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I am in for the crayola therapy,

Start: This weekend
End: Ongoing until we all see each other in heaven