the quote of the day

Old 04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

the quote of the day

I've scrimped and saved this past month trying to scrape together $100 to buy a treadmill. I finally picked it up on Saturday. According to my running routine I was supposed to run last night, but life got in the way. I got back from my Alanon meeting last night, put the baby down and got online thinking I'd put my running off a day. A friend of mine asked if I ran, I said no, I'd run tomorrow. He said, "So, was the treadmill a life changing decision or just an empty gesture". Needless to say, I was finishing my run last night at 10:30 pm.

I've been holding a boundary with my STBXAH for a week now, with daily verbal attacks from him. I keep looking for ways to get out of it, perhaps if I do this, or that I can relent, find a way to negotiate... a way we can both be happy. Then it hit me... Did I make a life changing decision, or was it just an empty gesture?

The boundary stands. No is a complete sentence.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justaboutus View Post
"So, was ________ a life changing decision or just an empty gesture?"
That is an awesome quote and illustration. I'll be pasting it up.

It just smacks me upside the head with a reminder that there are two ends of the spectrum to which I fall prey:
  1. Stuff I think is SO important, that really isn't
  2. Stuff that IS important, that I devitalize through rationalization

I'm so glad you shared this!

CLMI
Old 05-01-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The boundary stands. No is a complete sentence.
This is also worth repeating.
Last time I said NO the response I received from STBXH was "no is not an acceptable answer" WTF??

No wonder we feel crazy.

I stood by my NO too!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

perhaps if I do this, or that I can relent, find a way to negotiate... a way we can both be happy.
That used to be my codie mantra too.....it's the disease to please, isn't it?! What a miracle that you were able to see it, turn it around, and make a healthier decision!

Old 05-01-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I say no and someone challenges me on it. I politely walk away or end the conversation. There is no need to rationalize/defend oneself to people that are trying to manipulate you.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you, justaboutus.

Empty gestures can fill up a whole life, and I couldn't bear the thought of sitting on the edge of my retirement home bed at 90, looking back at all the things I didn't do for myself.

Do you participate in coolrunning dot com's discussion areas? I get a lot of motivation from those folks too. There are usually a few "running moms" threads
Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

justaboutus......I don't want to hijack your thread, and you or GiveLove can PM me if that's better, but what is coolrunning? I just started walking/jogging a couple weeks ago, and any motivation would be good!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

I don't mind my thread being hijacked (as long as it's something I'm interested in). Cool running is the website that launched the couch to 5k program (I think... anyway the two are linked somehow).

I may hop over onto those forums. I'm just finishing up my first week of running.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

blessed, I'll PM you with more info. Thanks, justaboutus!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on saving up funds for a treadmill!!!

Back in the day, when I had a few bucks in the bank, I bought one and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I prefer power walking (though I do jog a bit now and then). The rhythm and repetition are very meditative for me.

I have never been able to meditate because I cannot get my mind quiet no matter how hard I try, but when I'm walking, I can focus so much better and really let a lot of my own mental noise go.

What a great friend you have to ask a tough question like that. I think most folks would have said, "hey that's too bad about your busy schedule. Maybe you'll get to run tomorrow." He gave your conscience a voice, bravo!

Keep up the great work!

Alice
Old 05-01-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So was this a life changing decision or just an empty gesture? *SMACK* thank you so much for this today...you have no idea how it has opened my eyes...!!
Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I grew my wings to fly...

So was this a life changing decision or just an empty gesture? That hit home in more ways then one. My youngest son (15) brought something similar to my attention when I went out of town, I was to be home by a Friday night and said I was changing my mind, he said; you never stick to your decisions, that is why the AXBF thinks he can waltz back into our life at any time. From that day on (a month ago) I stick to my 'guns', especially since it isn't affecting just my life.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow! Sadending, your son's got the right idea. Mean what you say, but don't say it mean.

Just look at how it made you stop, think, and stick to what you set out to do. Fantastic!