Wow! I don't miss that smell

Old 04-13-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Wow! I don't miss that smell

XAH came by last night to work on taxes....gawd that smell! He was popping lifesavers every two minutes and I wanted to tell him not to bother but it just wasn't worth the animosity. I stood four feet away and could smell the stale, alcohol emanating from him. Yeah, we owe 9 grand in taxes, but ya know? It's all good!! I don't have to endure that odor anymore!! What a beautiful day this is!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I about fell out of my chair when I saw this thread! Just last night I was saying to myself, the thing I will be the MOST glad to be done with once STBXAH is out is.....the smell! He reeks. He quit drinking for a couple months, but the first thing he did when he found out I filed was go buy a case of beer. And so returned the smell.

I've got a couple hundred dollars stashed from Christmas and my birthday to buy new bedding and candles with the day he is gone!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can smell that smell from about twenty paces away. It's strange how we can become sensitized to it.

I mention it to my husband sometimes, after we've stood near someone in line who just reeks of that stale, half-digested-alcohol smell (like at 9am...) and he just looks confused: what smell?

THAT smell, I say to myself. The smell of liquid sadness and desperation. Ick.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is amazing how smells in our lives can trigger good or bad memories, from "baked cookies Grandma made" to booze breath. I still remember the first time I suspected my Sis had drinking problem, I picked her up from work for lunch for her birthday and as soon as she got in my truck, I could smell booze. It was a few months later when her bossed called me and told me she was drinking at work (vodka in water bottle) and passing out and they wanted to have intervention. This is when we found out she wasn't just partying hard, she was an alcoholic.

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
I can smell that smell from about twenty paces away. It's strange how we can become sensitized to it.

I mention it to my husband sometimes, after we've stood near someone in line who just reeks of that stale, half-digested-alcohol smell (like at 9am...) and he just looks confused: what smell?

THAT smell, I say to myself. The smell of liquid sadness and desperation. Ick.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Most of you know I am an Alcoholic, albeit many years in recovery but still an alkie, lol

For years (while still practicing) I said:

"I love alcohol, I love the taste of it, the smell of it, what it does to me and what it does for me." roflmao

Well ...................................... about 3 months or so sober, went to a meeting with some friends, where from where we parked the car to get to the meeting had to walk past a bar. The door was open, and the SMELL coming out that door, made me want to vomit. We got to the meeting hall and I had to run to the bathroom and put cold water on my face and sit for a bit with my head between my knees to get the NAUSEA to go away.

Ever since then I have been extremely SENSITIVE to that SMELL. It is GOD AWFUL!!!!!!

And yet when one is using, one seems to be oblivious to it. Such irony.

Glad you won't have to smell "The Smell" for much longer!!!!!

Love and hugs,