Work - Employee Assistance Program

Old 03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Work - Employee Assistance Program

I finally came to the conclusion today that I need to talk to a counselor so I get up the nerve to call the company EAP program and get a referral to a counselor and I'm told someone will call me before 5 p.m. tomorrow. Darn it I NEED to talk to someone NOW.

By tomorrow my courage to seek help will be gone.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

By tomorrow my courage to seek help will be gone.

So how about you make a list right now- today - of everything you would say to the counselor if they called you right now.

When they call you tomorrow, even if you feel afraid, you can say-- I feel differently today but here's a list I made yesterday and these are the things that have been weighing on my mind and I'd like some help figuring out.

Remember - it is the counselor's job to help you! It's what they do. They understand about fear, misgiving, motivation etc.

It's SO GREAT that you made the call!! Stick with your plan!

peace,
b
Old 03-31-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you really want a change in your life, summer, you've got to hang on until you can talk to them. You HAVE to. As if your life depended on it - because it might.

Think about it from an alcoholic's viewpoint: I can't go to an AA meeting until TOMORROW???? That's too far away. I either need one to materialize right now, right here, or I'm going to have to start drinking again. What would you tell them?

Hang in there. Make a list. Start a computer journal and get your thoughts down. Print off your posts here on SR. Do something, anything, to keep your head in the right space until you can get help.

Pulling for you ......
Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Earlier this week I received a call from the EAP program intake employee asking what type of issues I was dealing with so they could find the right counselor for me. I told her the issues going on and was told she will call back as soon as she finds a counselor in my area.

This morning I had voice mail waiting on me at work to call the EAP intake employee, so I make the call and I'm told my company is no longer with them as of yesterday.

I got the phone number of the new company and have just placed a call with them so I guess I'm back at the starting gate again. Maybe this company will be faster to respond.

The downside here is there are less "FREE" visits..looking for the positive here, maybe they have a better quality of providers.