Why I love Al-Anon!!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why I love Al-Anon!!

First, had a great meeting yesterday. It was a step study, which is quickly becoming my favorite type of meeting. We used "Paths To Recovery." Everyone reads a paragraph and shares on it and whatever else they want, and I get so much more out of it than by just reading the book.

My sponsor was at the meeting with me, and afterwards we spoke to another member who was working at the Al-Anon bookstore that afternoon. I needed to get that same book to work with my sponsor and was hoping to get it used because it was just too much for me to spend right now. He said to come by later and that he would look for me.

I didn't get to the bookstore until late (long story), and a different man was working behind the counter. I explained my situation, and he pulled out a book that had my name on it with a sticky note describing what I looked like. It was a brand new book, and it had already been paid for. I was so touched that I just stood there stammering like an idiot (lol).

The work with my sponsor has also been going great. She makes everything seem so wonderfully simple and has helped me let go of a lot of negative feelings I have lived with for years, lots of guilt and shame. She gives really good homework as well, exercises that make me stop and think. It was truly a godsend to find her, and she says that I help her too as we work together.

I'm so grateful for this program. It has saved my life
Old 03-25-2009, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, Glenna, what a great post, full of good things!

CLMI
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic post, Glenna. I love your sponsor already
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

Miracles, big and small became commonplace when I started working the program and doing the steps.

Not like "God bought me a truck" but stuff like your post starts happening regularly.

It's the part of the program I don't even try to explain...because I'd sound like a crazy person...ummm...then you do these step thingies, that are totally like a radio for talking to God, and then...umm...God sends you these messages n stuff..and all these miracles take place that look like these bizarre strings of coincidences because God totally wants to remain anonymous n stuff.....and ummm....no no don't call 911 it's the truth I swear!!!

That's great Glenna, I'm very happy for you.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glenna, I remember when you lost your sponsor and how it upset you. From where I sit your HP had something better in store for you. What do you think?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chrysalis123 View Post
Glenna, I remember when you lost your sponsor and how it upset you. From where I sit your HP had something better in store for you. What do you think?
I was just thinking the same thing! Glenna, I am just tickled pink for you! :ghug
Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, looking back I do believe this sponsor is a better fit for me. My first sponsor was a good one, but really she was in the midst of doing a lot of work on herself, and I just don't think I fit in between all of that. I still think fondly of her, though.

It's wonderful to have a sponsor who is so positive and seems to be in such a good place herself. She has the greatest knack for making everything seem so simple and so much easier to understand.

I've been trying to keep that positive focus despite things being a bit stressful lately. AH has been out of work for a week, although he is trying. He is still going to meetings every day, but the situation is depressing for him naturally on top of early sobriety. It has caused some negativity around the house, but when that happens I try to look at myself and do my own work and refocus, and I think it helps to cause a "ripple effect" and lighten things up a little bit.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Yeah, if the other sponsor wouldn't have let you go, you wouldn't have met this new one that is so great for you. HP at work!
I really like your enthusiasm and commitment Glenna,