Losing friends b/c of not drinking

Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Losing friends b/c of not drinking

Hello,

I am new to this sort of thing... my husband is the alcoholic and is trying his second round of full out stoping drinking, he is going about it through AA. This is the first weekend since having a big conversation with some of his friends about his problem; they said they would support him and to call if he needed them. Well, it was Friday night and of course the friend we had plans with bailed, went out drinking, and didn't call. My husband is very upset that he will lose all of his friends because he won't be drinking. That has been the only instance so far - we're going out tonight with friends, but what can I say to make him feel better?? And has anyone else gone through the lose of friends?? Will it get easier??

Thanks
Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

I sort of feel the same way, I dont have the same friends I used to and I find that people dont really want to be with me since I'm sober...Somedays I feel very sad and feel left out of what I consider to be fun... But then the weekend goes by and I hear from them and find out that they feel just as sick as I used to and that tells me that I will be alright....

You have each other stick together and you will make it through anything....

:ghug
Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have gone through the loss of "friends" who only saw value in me if I was getting drunk with them.

I don't need friends like that. The ones that remained formed a pure and precious collection of friends, because they were the ones who truly cared about me & my welfare, and as I kept my standards intact, I met more people who cared -- about ME, not about how fun I was when I was drunk.

The same will happen to your husband and to you. Enjoy your time with the REAL FRIENDS. Cherish these, the ones who "hang in there" even with this change of plans -- and kick the ones who don't to the curb. Hard, but hey, everything about alcoholism is hard.

Good luck!!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

The "friends" I lost when I quit drinking weren't friends

The "friends" I lost when I started drinking weren't friends either

The friends I have now are real friends, and I have had them in my life anywhere from 33 years to 10 years, real friends remain real friends and real friendships certainly don't end when one gets sober.

(the truth is the quality of people in my life after I quit drinking improved dramatically)
Old 03-21-2009, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ago View Post
(the truth is the quality of people in my life after I quit drinking improved dramatically)
Amen to that!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree totally with Ago and GiveLove - these are not real friends. I found out who my true friends were when I quit drinking.

I do have one question though. If your husband is very upset about losing friends, why isn't he the person posting?

You cannot work your husband's recovery program for him is all I am saying.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

When I stopped drinking I found out who my friends were, and who my drinking buddies were.

Drinking, to me, was a lot like living as a prisoner.

I escaped, and I do not go back to the prison to visit my 'friends'.

Some also escape and I often see them, as we enjoy freedom together.

There are thousands of excuses to be around alcohol I miss my friends), but no real reasons.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do your relationships with your friends depend on whether or not you drink? Mine don't. Just speaking for me, but if I don't drink I don't even think my friends notice. Likewise, if they didn't drink, I wouldn't think twice either. We have lots of fun and none of it depends on booze. So I don't know how valuable friendships would be that are based on booze. My DH has friends from AA. The manage to find things to do. Golf, travel, play poker, etc.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

hi whatnow
it hurts, i know. but "friend" is a tag i am no longer willing to give anyone that i happen to interact with.
a friend is with you all along, and offer the inconditional friendship you offer them.
i have found that once my priorities change, i start finding similar, healthier people, and having less contact to others that are still on the "old way" of life.
these new friendships have been fulfilling from the start.
good luck and all the best!
sandra
Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatnow4908 View Post
Hello,

I am new to this sort of thing... my husband is the alcoholic and is trying his second round of full out stoping drinking, he is going about it through AA. This is the first weekend since having a big conversation with some of his friends about his problem; they said they would support him and to call if he needed them. Well, it was Friday night and of course the friend we had plans with bailed, went out drinking, and didn't call. My husband is very upset that he will lose all of his friends because he won't be drinking. That has been the only instance so far - we're going out tonight with friends, but what can I say to make him feel better?? And has anyone else gone through the lose of friends?? Will it get easier??

Thanks
Yeah, my first go round through the program, back in '88. The way I look at it, if they were really my friends they would have stuck around. I think for the most part they were my drinking/using buddies.

If your husband makes an honest go at the program, he will find more real friends there than he's had in his entire life.