How do you stay connected?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you stay connected?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get to a meeting in 3 days. This is after going every day for the last few weeks. I still don't have a sponsor to talk to, which is discouraging, and I don't have anything to work on.

I feel my spirit getting lower and feel like I'm disconnecting somewhat. Nothing in particular has happened. I just don't have that amazing feeling that I have had over the last few weeks connecting with the group and with HP.

Is there anything that you do to "reconnect" for yourself when this happens to you? Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Glenna,

Recovery is sorta like a 24/7 deal for me, and it seems like I'm constantly seeking balance between my recovery schedule (meetings and service) and my personal life (work, children, fiance, family, friends). Even when I'm away from my meetings for a day or two I begin to feel disconnected and "apart from" rather than "a part of" my program.

But there are so many things available to me to keep the connection, most of the time I have to contemplate whether I'm really reaching out for support or I'm down in the dumps because I'm not putting it out there.

I have piles of meditation and self-help books to read, I have a phone full of AA contacts, a sponsor, meetings that start at 7:00 AM and the last one at 11:00 PM, church, service work, and of course I have Sober Recovery, this site is a great way to stay connected.

Plenty of options, just need to make sure I'm using them!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I can't get to any meetings I read a lot, and study the Bible a lot, that helps me.

And here of course
Old 03-16-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

you could download some literature from the web. meditate ,ask for guidance.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pick up a book that you think will be helpful and use that as your daily "homework" to expand your understanding of yourself and life in general. There are a great many out there I have found useful. One I have begun doing again is 52 Weeks of Conscious Contact by Melody Beattie. It covers a wide range of topics, you can use it going cover to cover or jumpt to those topics that seem particularly relevant to you at any particular moment.

And come in here! We are always around ya know. {hugs}
Old 03-16-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

All of the above suggestions were good. Maybe start writing in a journal or make a gratitude list. There is so much on the internet to help with one's sobriety.

Love ya, Donna
Old 03-16-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glenna, if you have high speed internet, here's a link to a whole slew of Alanon speakers you can listen to, hon. With the host of health problems I've had over the past 3 years, and periods of time where I couldn't make meetings, the online speaker tapes were a lifeline for me.

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!