Web cams are cool

Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

Web cams are cool

As most of you know, my EXAH lives in North Dakota with his girlfriend, as painful as that is for my boys my ex is doing well and has been sober for about 9 months now, he is doing well, working, sending his child support and working on his relationship with his kids. I came up with a idea to buy a webcam so they can see eachother, my daughter is against this because she feels if he wanted to see them he should have stayed in Ca. However it worked out great the boys got to see their Dad tonight, share toys, their pets and just smile with their Dad. It was cool.
Did I do the right thing? I want them to have a relationship with their Dad. Am I trying to hard, or was this a good idea? Would you have?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ago

I think it's a wonderful Idea.

I have actually known families, that play MMO's (massive multiplayer online role playing games such as World of Warcraft) together

Once was two twin sisters, their children, and husbands that lived in different states (there are voice programs too so everyone can talk like the phone) and the other was a Grandmother in Belgium that played with her son, DiL, and Grandchildren.

The technology is there, IMO use it. You did a good thing.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I think that is a terrific idea!

Every step you take in love and compassion for your family is a step in the right direction.

Your children should have every opportunity to laugh and share with both parents. You have found a way to let technology assist your children in maintaining a relationship with their dad.

Many blessings to you!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cmc

Kermie...you did good!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Trying too hard might have been dragging your daughter kicking and screaming in front of the webcam when she wasn't yet ready. I think you do a very loving, unselfish thing. What a wonderful idea! Perhaps in time as your daughter sees that the boys are enjoying it, she may soften to the idea as well. Hugs

Last edited by greeteachday; 02-12-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kermie,

My XAH decided two weeks before Christmas to move to Alaska! He does not pay child support (mutual agreement) and now he isn't here to be involved in his children's lives. I was angry and resentful about his decisions, but I also know that I have no control over what he does.

He sent them a webcam for Christmas. I helped them get it hooked up and working so they could talk to their dad.

It still ticks me off that he gets to communicate with them at his convenience, whenever he feels up to it, or can show them his best face and hide out whenever he doesn't want to deal with them. I, on the other hand, live with them 24/7 and they get to see me at my best, my worst, and everything in-between. I disagree with his choices, but there is no way I would come between him and his kids.

Web cams are very cool, but they do not replace real parenting. Remember to give yourself credit where credit is due. And part of that is letting their dad give to them whatever he is willing/able to do. My kids know that I am the one who is there for them all the time. They also know that their dad is there sometimes. And the way I look at it, that's better than nothing.

L
Old 02-13-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

LaTeeDa, I know what you are feeling, believe me. I want more than anything for my kids to have what ever they can get from their Dad. One day our kids are goimg to turn to us and say thaks for letting them have what they could. This is why I do what I do. My kids have lived without their Dad for 3yrs now, and I have grown very comfortable with him being gone, I'm dreading the day he comes back and I have to share the kids with him. I have grown selfish and love being with them 24/7 I don't ever want to give that up.
Remember our kids love us best when we are at our worst!
Thanks, Kermie