I need you great people again.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

God bless you, Mike.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've been seeing a new person myself and identify with having some moments of fear. Marriage to a binge drinker predisposes me to expect some kind of tragic or horrible event every month or so. I was also experiencing some anxiety with whether this person would drop plans at the last minute like my x did so often. I also observe the way he uses alcohol and look for behavioral changes.

So far I've been happy with what I've been learning about him. Even so, I am going to continue to get to know and enjoy him without doing anything drastic like cohabiting. I figure if it's truly great, it will remain so and there's no need to force anything along prematurely. Besides, dating and living apart is a fun and special part of a relationship.

I'd say unless your instincts are telling you otherwise, it's ok to take time to get to know and develop feelings for someone. Divorce due to alcoholism can do a number on one's trust for one's feelings, so give yourself plenty of time and space to figure out what this person is really about.

It's also helped me to bring him around friends and family who I love and trust.