Has anyones AH quit on there own without AA or rehab?

Old 08-03-2003, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Has anyones AH quit on there own without AA or rehab?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows anyone that has quit on their own. Without help with AA or Rehab? My H went to get help and thought that the out patient was to much time. He said he is going to do it on his own and maybe attend some AA meeting. I found some listings for him and am hoping he will attend. I am very ,very pleased and happy, so happy that he has made a step in recovery. I pray for his strength daily. thanks Snoopy
Old 08-03-2003, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Smile sure...

it is possible to quit drinking on ones own. I do hope it works out in your husbands case.

I quit often...but...I neded AA to stay quit.

I think it is a good sign that he is willing...and keep in mind...AA works for millions of us.

My best to both of you....
Old 08-03-2003, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Before I met my husband he got clean on his own (cocaine problem). He did it without AA. HE began having a problem with drinking after our second child was born (9 years without drungs) and now is going to AA meetings (more than 7 a week).

This is a man who said "AA's not for me!".

I'm glad he found it. He has been sober and going to meetings as well as counseling for almost 5 months. In the beginning he just went because he felt he had to go (his aftercare counselor told him to go). Now he goes every night (sometimes 2 a night) he did 90 in 90. The other day he was going to skip a night because he went during the day (on his lunch break) but felt he was in a 'bad mood' and could use a meeting. Well it helped.

That's just his experience so far.

Nodoubt
Old 08-04-2003, 09:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Snoopy,
I did. No help. (Well my wife prayed a lot for me and I was so desparately ill one time drinking she thought I would die.) I have never had even the slightest interest to drink for two years now and have come to some heavy emotional crises that having a drink may help me deal with the issue but did not imbibe. It is great being absolutely without any substance at all. The body gives a natural drug when you exercise the way it was designed to.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Snoopy, Mine is trying, so far it has been pretty good. However, there have been some steps backwards, but I have tried to continue my progress even though he has had some set backs with his. I believe that it can be done.....pray daily. Best of luck to you! Constant
Old 08-05-2003, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Snoopy
Years ago, my dad got beat up while drinking. It was supposedly by one of his BEST drinking buddies. He NEVER touched another drop of any type of alcohol. He didn't go to any type of meetings, either. He just decided, enough is enough. I do know that that doesn't usually work for everyone.
Good luck to you.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Believe it or not, more people quit that way than any other. It doesn't, however, change the fact that when they quit drinking/drugging, their families need to learn to deal with the different dynamics at home. My husband has been clean and sober for 15 months, but I still deal with the trust issues. It's me who needs help here learning to detach. HE is doing just fine.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you for all your responses. He hasn't attended an AA meeting yet. I'm not to sure he will either. But, I am praying daily for strength for him. Since he decided to take the step and we talked about it. Our relationship has become closer. I feel like a weight has been taken off of my shoulders. Thanks again. Snoopy
Old 08-08-2003, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

I was wondering the same thing about my husband. It is encouraging to hear that many people can do it on their own. I hope you keep strong for yourself and your husband. I also have a trust issue. Glad to see that I am not the only one.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

My Dad quit drinking after a lifetime of it at age 75, he is 88
now and lives with us. My father is a depressed old man and
probably has been for yrs. I keep him on celexia, my thoughts?
After yrs of drinking and it being the only life he knew, he
had nothing taking its place,it left him angry and depressed.
He never admitted alcoholism.
I'm no expert on it just sighting my observations.
My daughter who is also an A, has a different type of alcoholism
more like the kind I have read in the Big BOOk, she cannot hold
a job, barely functions when it has her in its grip. She dries out only to return.
God Bless those who find their way through the madness.