How did you pick your sponsor?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm growing

How did you pick your sponsor?

I am not sure how to go about getting a sponsor. I chat before and after meetings with people but I am never quite sure how long some of the people have been in the program (some I know about how long). Also, I don't know if they already ahve a few sponsee and don't want another one (but I guess were in Al-anon so they'll just let me know....lol).

There is this older women that is so insightful at our meetings... I was thinking about asking her. I love to listen to her.

There are a couple of other people that I feel comfortable sharing with.

I really haven't reached out to anyone inbetween meetings....I guess I am afraid to. It's sort of silly. I have been going for a while. I should feel comfortable.

anyway how'd you do it?

Last edited by Daisy30; 01-07-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there Daisy, and pleased to "meet" you

I made a list of 6 people who seemed to have a lot of serenity, and the kind of life I wish I had. I asked each one of them out to coffee and asked them to tell me _their_ story of recovery. After I'd heard all six I asked them out _again_. This time I asked them who _their_ sponsor was and who else they were sponsoring.

By the end of that I knew who to ask. The guy who had his own sponsor, who worked thru the steps every year, and who had a couple sponsees. The other five guys are still good friends. The guy I asked has been married 42 years, has a wonderful relationship with his wife and kids, and works his recovery in ever aspect of his life. That's the kind of life _I_ want to have, so I'm hanging out with him.

Mike
Old 01-08-2009, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I wanted someone who attended meetings regularly and had done the steps.

I wasn't looking for a friend or a buddy, but more of a successful mentor figure.