? confused

Old 11-26-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

? confused

I dont know what to do. My wife is a closet alcoholic. I have a fourteen year old daughter who is doing well in school but i can sense this is having a profound effect on her. I do not eant to be in this marriage any more but I am afraid to leave for her. I'm depressed. I've tried everything from serious and heartfelt discussions to if you can't beat em join em. i am embarrassed and sad i cannot overcome this situation an start a healthy life.

Last edited by paulie319; 11-26-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have found a great place for support and information. Start by reading here and books. Eductate yourself about alcoholism and the effects it is having on you and your daughter. That will help you figure out what you want and need to do for yourself and you daughter. She is undoubtedly being negatively effected by her mother's alcoholism. But you and she can learn to live better whether you stay or leave.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome from me too, and Barbara has given you some good suggestions. A nice basic book to start out with is "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. You might also want to check and see if you have any Alanon meetings available in your area, which is a 12-step based support group for family and friends of alcoholics. They will also often have Alateen available which is a support resource for the kids.

I encourage you to keep posting. I know how depressing and overwhelming it can be! :ghug