New to forum

Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forum

I wrote a horribly long post, then seemed to have lost it...not sure I can write it all again *lol* Maybe it will show up later?

First of all, thank you to everyone who posts here. I was floating around online, looking for a place where I wouldn't feel quite so alone.

As I mentioned, I don't want to go into my entire long story again, at least not today. My main issue is that I have finally left my husband of 9 years. After losing his job and going to the hospital for the fifth time, having been told repeatedly he can't drink, not only due to the liver damage he has already incurred, but he was recently diagnosed with diabetes. He swears his job had it in for him, and he can't stop drinking so we all just have to understand.

I'll do my best to understand that he can't stop, but I have to do it from a distance. I'm losing about 75% of my income...that's enough to give me an ulcer. I'm scared of having enough, but I have applied for assistance, because, as everyone keeps wanting to remind me, yes he has to help us, but how can he do that if he's not working? I can't rely on that anymore.

I've lived on my own before, but never with two children. On top of that, our daughter is just finishing up treatment at a center for children with emotional and behaviorals issues. She is 10, we adopted her when she was almost 6. She came from a history of neglect and abuse. She is better, but still a huge challenge. But I feel stronger doing it on my own, not worrying if today will be a day he helps me, or demands all of my attention.

I can stop lying and covering up for his absence. So much freedom mixed with terrror and panic.

I hope I can join your group, to have a place to share, but also offer encouragement to others.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by MissVirgo View Post
I hope I can join your group, to have a place to share, but also offer encouragement to others.
Sounds like you're in the right place. Welcome to SR, stick around and I'm sure you'll have plenty to offer. By sharing your experience you've already taken a step in reaching out for support.

Glad you're here!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:ghug :ghug
Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trying to find a path

So much freedom mixed with terrror and panic
When I first left my AW with my son it was weird not having to do all the things I was used to doing in the uber-dramatic way I was used to doing them. It was weird not having to gauge the "alcoholic weather" to see how my day was going to go. It took a while to relax. (still working on this one!)

It is also very scary. I think it is scary mostly because I don't know what to expect. One of the things that I do is take a few minutes after dinner and plan tomorrow. I try to keep busy and try not to focus too far into the future ...

I'm not there yet but I can tell that I am moving.

You have found a good and supportive place. Read, Read, Read!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So glad you found us, missvirgo.

Please stick around and be part of our little community here....
Old 11-04-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome Miss Virgo!
You are doing the right thing.
You and your kids will be better than fine!
Take a look around and keep posting, there is so much support here.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Seeking Peace and Serenity

Welcome and you are definately not alone! I found the sticky's were a great resource to start out. Welcome!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and keep posting - getting it all out does help alot and our ears are here for you......remember the 3 c's

You didnt cause it
You cant control it
You cant cure it

Keep saying this to yourself ok.

Janitw (click on any of our names to learn our histories ok)
Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stay with the thought that you are the responsible person and need all the help and support to care for yourself and the children.
Life will not be easy for you, but could be so much harder with him stuffing it up and complicating it.
God bless
Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Miss.V! You are not alone-Glad that you found us! Please check out the stickies at the top of the forum as they are filled with a wealth of information! Keep posting there is a lot of support in our little SR family!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Miss Virgo

Feel free to PM me if you want more information on Al Anon meetings in Iowa. I've been to some good ones!