al-anon back in my town

Old 08-04-2008, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

al-anon back in my town

Hi,
I found out there is an al-anon meeting in my town again! It has been about 5 years since we had one. It is at a church on Wed night, and an aa meeting is there also, so hopefully it will continue! I am so excited to go back. I had been about 7 years ago, went for 6 weeks and that was actually the first time my A husband had ever given up drinking! Even though I was going for myself. But he relapsed and I stopped going. When he went to treatment in 2002 I tried again but couldn't stick with it. Then there was no longer a meeting in my town. Anyways I have always read my two daily book, one day at a time, and courage to change, but I am so excited to have a meeting again, and to come here more often and post. Do a lot of you go to al-anon, and what is your experience? thanks for being here
Old 08-06-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does anybody here go to al-anon also, besides coming here? I would like to hear about it. It seems like al-anon is about the only program for us involved with alcoholics/addicts. I have husband who is A, daughter who is Addict, they have both been to treatment and stated as much, though husband drinks, I believe daughter is sober. I had issues with alcohol myself but it hasn't been a problem lately but I have been drinking with husband A. So I have given it up myself. I feel my issue is the effect of all the A's in my life. Sister and brother are also admitted A's although both not in recovery and active drinking, also. I believe my mother is A and addicted to pain killers, which she has given up but doesn't appear to have changed at all. Another sister thinks she is A also. Uncle, grandparents, cousins, etc are alcoholics,addicts too. Both sides of the family.
Anyways just wondering if anyone here goes to al-anon and would please share. thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Hi Ruby,

Yes I attend Al-Anon on a regular basis, it is a very important part of my recovery. My home group has meetings 4 x a wk and I try to make as many as I can.

Let's see - From my perspective I believe that I have been affected by the drinking or drug use of my Dad, my Step-Dad, my brother, my husband, my daughter and also some of my very close friends. So I definitely qualify for all the help I can get - I NEED IT!! lol

Both of my Dads stopped drinking when I became an adult; my brother has 12 yrs in AA, my AH has been in & out of the program - right now has about 4 months sober/clean, daughter not really sure - but she appears to be clean right now.

All of this means that I still have to focus on taking care of me to keep me out of their disease so that I can stay sane and they can have their own paths to walk.

For me, I need both - SR & f2f meetings - hope the meetings continue in your area.

HUGS,
Rita