Mouthwash

Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Mouthwash

My beautiful 38-year old daughter has struggled since a teen with addiction, from pain meds to heroin to alcohol. Her liver has been compromised and now she is have digestive issues and has lost a considerable amount of weight. Lately she has been drinking mouthwash ... She is a mother of a 22 month, 32 month old and 16 year old. Married two years to a very supportive husband. 2nd marriage for both. She recently moved across country; her 16 year old daughter stayed behind to finish high school. She lives with my daughter's first husband who also is an alcoholic ... I am so very concerned, not only for her but for her family. Any ideas (or mouthwash information) would be most appreciated.:ghug2
Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Other than the dangers of alcohol, If it has eucalyptus oil in it then there is some danger because high doses of eucalyptus oil can cause bleedings, seizures and heart problems. Severe eucalyptus oil poisoning can even lead to coma and death.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Another mom here sending you a big welcome.

Mouthwash has alcohol in it. Obviously your daughter is still living with addiction.
I know you worry like crazy about your grandkids too.

I've been going to an alanon mtg. just for parents for many yrs. It has helped me greatly in dealing with my son who is an addict. You can check on line to to if such a mtg. exists in your area.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Yup, mouthwash has alcohol (some don't, but most do). I think the typical amount is 15-20% alcohol.

I used to drink mouthwash from time to time. I only did it when I was out of booze and it was late so the liquor stores weren't open. I also drank vanilla extract (also has alcohol in it).

I've heard of folks drinking cologne, hair spray, rubbing alcohol (very toxic), anything that will get them a buzz.

I don't know what other information you might be looking for. There are alcohol free varieties of mouthwash available. But simply replacing their mouthwash probably won't help much. Odds are she'll just find something else to use without getting any other help.