Successful recoveries

Old 07-30-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's not my attempt to keep the word war raging, but..."Whatever" is my AH's response when he doesn't want to deal with life...I won't second that one...I can't...it's part of my recovery!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"Whatever" is typically not an appropriate response. Most people here advise us to take the best and leave the rest.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Okay, for the grammar police, how about this?

I apologize if my post was worded in such a way that it seemed to you like a personal attack. It was not my intention to attack anyone, but merely to point out the insidious nature of codependent thinking.

Now, can we get back to the topic?

L
Old 07-30-2008, 02:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I never took it personally...you give yourself too much credit...I felt I needed to rephrase for those who feel they are experts at labeling others.

Reminds me again of the A..."Well if your toes weren't under my foot I would have never stepped on them"...when just a simple "I'm sorry" would suffice.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I owned the phrase and others misinterpreted what I wanted to express...it was my choice...thanks for setting things straight...another expert opinion was needed.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's funny you mention moderators and administators...If you look back over the posts...I have done nothing but defended what I have said, not criticized others...it was others who chose not to take what you like and leave the rest.

I'm done with this silliness and will not respond further as I only see it as wasting others time.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have an uncle (my grandmother's brother-in-law) who used to drink excessively and got into a lot of bar fights and lost jobs, etc. He is an alcoholic. He stopped drinking when he woke up after going to church one day and took a good look at himself and was ashamed at what he had become. He realized he was hurting his family and decided drinking would not longer be a part of his life. Well, that was about fifty years ago, and he's been sober ever since. So, there is hope for some people. But I guess he maybe a rare case.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
To Life!

Let's please stick to the OP's original question, and not get off topic, here, ok?
Here's a reminder of the question again...
I'm curious about how many people's significant others have actually made recoveries from addiction? It seems like all you ever hear about are the failure to achieve recovery.
Thanks for your understanding. We're about recovery, here, right?

Shalom!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
MRF

My AH was sober for about 5 years, then relapsed in a big way. He is starting over his recovery now and as of tomorrow will be two weeks sober. One day at a time..
Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Looking for the silver lining

One of my dearest friends was an addict with an eating disorder. At 27, strung out and deathly ill with stomach problems for months, she collapsed. When she awoke in the hospital, she found out that she didn't actually have a stomach flu...she was four months pregnant! With no money, no job, no idea who the daddy was, and bouncing around on people's couches, she decided that she had to do something for her and this little person.

Fast forward...my friend has been sober for 20 years. She has built a wonderful event planning business and is very active in politics. She and her husband, who she married years later travel extensively. She is extremely centered and spiritual...a true inspiration. Her daughter is 20 now. She was born deaf, which doctors said most likely was from the drug use. However, my friend did not use that as an excuse to form a pity party and start using again. Instead, she taught her daughter how to read lips and speak clearly. Both her and her daughter are in college now.

Sometimes I go over there and find mother and daughter doing homework.

It is very powerful to see! My love to each of you!