The Cleaner

Old 07-15-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Cleaner

I hope that this isn't a redundant post. Has anyone else seen the promos for "The Cleaner" starring Benjamin Bratt on A&E? It's suppose to premier tonight. I have my DVR set to record it. I looked it up on the internet and it looks very interesting. It is based upon a real man in California.

Here's a little blurb off the website:

"The Cleaner," inspired by the true story of a real-life "extreme interventionist," stars Benjamin Bratt as William "The Cleaner" Banks, who, after hitting rock-bottom from his own addictions after the birth of his daughter, strikes a tentative deal with God. Now along with his unconventional team, he helps people get away from their addictions by any means necessary.

Just thought I'd share for anyone who might have missed the previews but might want to catch it tonight.

hugs

Last edited by Kindeyes; 07-15-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: I can't write
Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

William Banks is also one of the Executive Producers on the show.

Yes I plan on watching it tonight., lol

Love and hugs,
Old 07-15-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

With my 8th grade education Im not sure what "Redundant" means but I will look it up. Anyhow, Im going to watch it. Looking forward to it. Looks like a really good show.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

1 a: exceeding what is necessary or normal : superfluous b: characterized by or containing an excess; specifically : using more words than necessary c: characterized by similarity or repetition <a group of particularly redundant brick buildings> dchiefly British : no longer needed for a job and hence laid off
2: profuse, lavish
3: serving as a duplicate for preventing failure of an entire system (as a spacecraft) upon failure of a single component
— re·dun·dant·ly adverb
LOL. OK. I had an idea thats what it meant. Yeah, I actually have the same thread around here somewhere. No biggee though. I think a lot of SR members would dig this new show.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been seeing the previews too and had hoped to catch it. I totally forgot it's tonight.. THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!!
Old 07-15-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
broken wings

I've been waiting to see it looks very interesting can't wait ,i think benjamin bratt will be great. There will be a new season of saving grace starting soon I think. also a great show
Old 07-15-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hadn't planned on watching it but now I think I will check it out.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

There will be a new season of saving grace starting soon I think. also a great show
That started last night on TNT and it was an excellent episode. Don't know if it's the trend for this season's episodes or not, but last night she wasn't depicted as being quite as far gone in her alcoholism as in the last set of episodes. And yep "Earl" is in this season (I absolutely adore Earl!!!).

Saving Grace is on Monday's on TNT and The Cleaner is on Tuesday's on A&E.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-15-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Benjamin Bratt makes me swoon. I love Saving Grace....she's a mess but a very loveable character.

Time2Surrender
You're funny! I like your quads. Nearly killed myself on one of those things a couple of years ago! We had a Honda 250 (mine) and a Honda 450 (my husband's). We sold them to put our RA son through treatment (but I'm glad we did because we both took some pretty bad spills!)

Sorry I went a bit off topic.........
Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
Benjamin Bratt makes me swoon. I love Saving Grace....she's a mess but a very loveable character.

Time2Surrender
You're funny! I like your quads. Nearly killed myself on one of those things a couple of years ago! We had a Honda 250 (mine) and a Honda 450 (my husband's). We sold them to put our RA son through treatment (but I'm glad we did because we both took some pretty bad spills!)

Sorry I went a bit off topic.........
Your husband rode a Honda 450? TRX? Thats what I ride!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn't much like the show. {shrug}
Old 07-15-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah it wasn't what I expected.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender View Post
Your husband rode a Honda 450? TRX? Thats what I ride!
Yup. That's one heck of a quad--that baby was FAST. I couldn't ride it. I loved the semi sort of automatic clutch thingy on my 250 (please pardon the technical terminolgy). Very rider friendly...except when it threw me off and proceeded to run over me (you should have seen the bruise on my behind!) Both of them were black (the quads not my butt) and we had fun on them while it lasted.

Back to The Cleaner......I'm not sure what I expected. I'll catch another episode or so before I make up my mind. It was dark. My husband said he's going to be depressed for a week (he was just kidding......it was his way of expressing his opinion).

Last edited by Kindeyes; 07-15-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-16-2008, 12:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have to correct my first post, I meant to say Warren Boyd (The Real "The Cleaner") is an Executive Producer on the show. It is based on his life.

William Banks is drawn from Warren Boyd's real life.

Sorry about that, lol you know it was just a 'senior moment.' rofl.

In MHO the show WAS EXCELLENT. It's gonna be a hard to watch sometimes if they keep it at this level of intensity, but looks like they are doing one heck of a job of it.

Of course, it hit me down in that alkie/addict core of mine. There were some sections that just came up and took my breath away.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I only caught the last 10 minutes of the show! I set the reminder on my TV, but never saw it. Arghhh! I'm going to try to catch it next week. Will they replay last night's show this week?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I LOVE THAT MAN!!! Loved the show, too!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I found the premise of a kidnapping and "forced" placement in rehab to be contrary to what I understand as the way to do an intervention and how rehab needs to include the desire of the addict to begin recovery. Or did I misunderstand the premise of the show?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree, Barbara...although I still loved the show....lol

You can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. If those people weren't realizing that they have a problem, locking them away somewhere isn't going to help....plus it's illegal.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah, Barbara, that's what I had trouble with, too. You see the meth addict lying in the hospital bed, and it makes you wonder how he'll react when he wakes up. Too cut and dried for me.
I did find the last scene touching, where his friend Mick died of an od.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The portrayal of an "extreme interventionist" is an interesting concept. Something akin to the intervention of people who are caught up in religious cults. The same process has been utilized--kidnapping and de-programming. On the show, the main character comments that they have a 75% relapse rate. Regular ol' treatment, agreed to by the A, also has a high incidence of relapse. Is there any right way? IMHO.....whatever works. It's an individual thing.

That's just my take on the program now that I've had a little time to cogitate.