Doing What's Good for Me

Old 07-04-2003, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile Doing What's Good for Me

Today (to celebrate the 4th of July), I am going to have some friends over to relax and enjoy each other's company. It feels so good to detach from my friend (recovering A, etc.) who wants "only the greatest friendship" with me. I don't know if he is coming here or going somewhere else today. I wish him a great trip and plenty of time to "reflect". When it comes to weekends, especially holiday weekends, I don't really care what he does. All I know is that I welcome this time to be with myself and to do what I enjoy doing. I see and know the behavior of an alcoholic. I was married to two alcoholics. Repeating the Serenity Prayer saves me from the pain I used to endure. I am calm now. I am hopeful that his new love interest takes him wherever he plans to go. Bye, bye!
Old 07-04-2003, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Still Learning,

Welcome to the recovery forum! Good for you! I sense the hurt in your post, but you're not letting it stop you. That's a great inspiration for the rest of us... 'cause we're all still learning, too. Have a great weekend with your reliable friends. Thanks for joining our little family. Keep posting!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 07-04-2003, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Still Learning

I want to welcome you too and say that I could feel your strength and courage speak through your post.

Good for you for living for yourself and sticking with good friends that you can have fun with.

Hope you have a wonderful July 4th!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Still Learning -

Great name. When we stop learning that is when we stop growing. You have found a great place to visit and become part of. There are alot of smart and helpful people here. Welcome and keep coming back.

Jo
Old 07-05-2003, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you for your caring support. The day was full of fun and interesting behavior, too. My recovering A friend (GT getting there) did come to the party and stayed right on through to the end of the evening. We swam, played, laughed and visited. Later in the day some people went on home or on to their next adventure. My son and his lady love, and two more of their friends came for dinner. We had a tremendous severe rain storm but that didn't stop the 6 of us from piling into my old convertible. GT (getting there) drove. My son called the radio station to see if the fireworks would go off. NOT! So, we went over across the river to the complex where we went into an Irish pub. GT and I sat outside and watched the lightning show. The rain finally stopped. We rode back home with the top down, laughing ourselves silly! What a night to remember! I gave GT numerous hugs throughout the day (for him, for me). Even when he said he was going out of town NEXT weekend to hear music (without EVER asking me to go along) I did not respond with anything other than saying, "That's good". I'm truly amazed at my strength and courage. Thank you, my dear HP! And, thank you all again.