Big Attack of Guilt

Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big Attack of Guilt

9 days after cutting an AF out of my life, I am feeling an overwhelming sense of guilt. Mostly about the manner in which I did it.

I wanted a clean break, so i wrote a goodbye letter, stated my reasons and asked her not to contact me.

Some of my confidants felt I was too kind in my goodbye, some felt I should have let her respond. My brother applauded it, then felt maybe I was harsh.

I don't know. I don't want her in my life anymore, but I don't want to be hated and I'm having nightmares and trouble dealing with the finality and firmness of my clean break, which is a fairly new thing for me.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

As a codependent, I struggled with guilt over things I felt responsible for that I did not truely own. One such thing included other people's feelings.

Once I realized I was not responsible for making anything easier for XABF, I felt a weight lifted. Once I realized I did not need to ask permission for or feel guilty about the things I needed to do to protect myself and put myself in safe and peaceful environments I feel I truely started to recover.

You did a good thing for yourself - you gave yourself a big, badly needed hug.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Angelus not much to say except and ditto to what cage said!

When we realize that we do not own others feelings and choices we have got it made and are on a well grounded road of recovery!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Angelus: Sorry you are having a bad time. It'll get better.

(((Angelus)))
Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

((((Angelus))))

It's never easy saying good bye. It's never easy making the decision either. I think the guilt is a huge co dependent trait. We think we need to make everyone else happy.

I hope you can let go of other's feelings and start taking care of you..you deserve to be happy and have people in your life that truly care for you.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So you feel guilty for acting to protect yourself. Why? What makes the what you think might be needs of your AF more important than yours that leads you to feel guilty for working to meet your needs?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys...I value and understand what you mean, and I agree...

Right now I am feeling depressed and extremely panicky, having trouble adjusting to this new me...worried that I'm making enemies and may be facing a lot of time alone
Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Had a rough weekend, depressed, sick and nightmares...feel an urge to make peace with my AF but I really don't want to make contact in any way...conflict