Drove me to drink....

Old 04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drove me to drink....

is a saying I used to hear a lot, as a joke really. But I've been thinking about it recently, my mum used to blame certain things for my brothers drinking, but I never did, I always said something like 'yeah, maybe that was tough but no one else poured the vodka down his neck'

Now, I think I know a bit more about alcohilism, but this still confuses me. I think because it is a saying I've grow up hearing, you know, someone talks about someone down the road maybe and the problems theyre having, then says it's enough to drive you to drink.

I think maybe some people drink and feel a need to blame some event for the drinking, but is there any truth in the saying 'it drove him/her to drink'?

I've had problems in my life, I had the same upbringing as my brother, neither of our parents have problems with alcohol, our grandparents didnt.
As I'm typing I realise my Dad was adopted and I have no idea about his parents.

I think what I'm asking is why can I drink responsibly, a glass of wine here and there, and leave the bottle in the fridge till the wine's undrinkable, or not even think about drinking for weeks on end, but my brother can't stop once he starts?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LucyA View Post

I think what I'm asking is why can I drink responsibly, a glass of wine here and there, and leave the bottle in the fridge till the wine's undrinkable, or not even think about drinking for weeks on end, but my brother can't stop once he starts?
Because your brother is alcoholic and you aren't.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey Lucy -
I've wondered this many times myself.
I do know that human beings have different coping mechanisms for dealing with stress.
If you are a more resilient personality type you will probably not turn to drugs or alcohol in the first place.

In my family dad was an alcoholic, his mom was an alcoholic, both his brothers were/are alcoholics, all 3 of my brothers are alcoholics (well one is now off booze for 15 years but smokes pot 24/7/365) and yet my sister and I are not alcoholics.

Why are all my brothers alcoholics? Is it genetics? Was it environment? One of my brothers is very shy, maybe the alcohol helped him feel social? My other two brothers are outgoing, not shy.

One thing I do know is they all started drinking as teenagers...heavily. And I do know I had conscious thoughts as a teenager like, "I do not want to be an alcoholic like my dad." So I was very aware of my partying levels (back when I was young and actually partied!!!!).

I think with all the new brain research that's going on now we'll know more and more about addiction in the next 20 years....

I'm curious to hear what others think...
Peace,
B.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’ve been struggling with nearly the same question. I have plenty of family history, 4 grandparents and a father that are A’s, I drank heavily as a teen and 20’s, and still will drink to excess. But, the compulsion or need to drink isn’t there. If I put a six pack or bottle of wine in the fridge, more of it gets used cooking than drank.

I enjoy the social aspect of drinking, to me getting drunk is a by product of drinking that happens. I guess I make the distinction as; I don’t drink to get drunk, I get drunk because I drink. My AW on the other hand would down the first 3 as fast as possible, and go until the last drop. I can only think of a few times when I sat down to drink “because of” something, generally that’s when I want a drink the least.

Since she began recovery began (early January) the only times I’ve gone out are when she has called my friends and told them to come get me. She has told me that she knows she has a problem and I don’t. And I should still be able to enjoy myself even though I live with an A.

I guess this is where I have to believe it’s a disease like cancer, 2 people can smoke and only 1 gets lung cancer. I can’t say I understand it, but I believe it.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, the whole X drove me to drink (or to drugs or sex or chocolate or whatever) is another way of denying responsibility for one's choices. No one is forced to use whatever substance or activity or thing because of what is going on in their life. If I choose to indulge in too much chocolate because I am feeling whatever, I do it knowing I am doing it and that I'll pay later by gaining weight.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have smoked my "whole life" until I gave up last year. I always said that I'll stay away from "hard" drugs as I thought I had an addictive personality because of my smoking. I have smoked pot a few times, and tried 1 or 2 other things, nothing more. I am a light social drinker.

Why is it that I was addicted to cigarettes for years, yet not to alcohol or drugs?
I also wonder what is the difference between cigarette addiction & recovery and alcohol/substance addiction & recovery?