OT - does anyone remember when TV ended at midnight...

Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Okay, now EVERYBODY knows I'm 10 year's older than dirt. I LOVED Sky King and his niece, Penny. And, I DO remember watching Lincoln ("Link") Vale - the man who patrolled the Everglades.

YIKES!!

Romper Room - our "lady" was Miss Connie. She used to make all sorts of characters using strips of newspaper, and holding the strips together with a "glue" made from flour and water. I, too, tried a similar project. I ended up with soggy newspaper strips laying in a puddle of flour and water.

Not an artist ... nope ... definitely not!

best - Have you ever thought of trying out as a "Jeopardy!" contestant? You are our hero - the official F&F board Answer Man!
Old 04-02-2008, 05:14 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
And, I DO remember watching Lincoln ("Link") Vale - the man who patrolled the Everglades.
I hadn't remembered that til you mentioned it. It guess I am approaching older than dirt too.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:13 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Now that you mention it, I do remember Sky King. I remember that plane flying and i do remember, even as a youngster, that those shots were so cheesy...

Now that you mention, i do remember the niece Penny.

Best: Personal integrity was intentionally put into the culture for kids like me... and maybe there was not as much of that as I thought, but maybe a light shines very bright in the darkness....
Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Cool OTR anyone?

I should probably start a new thread for this, but I was afraid I might be the only poster (me being not only 'older 'n dirt' but more than likely 'older 'n older 'n dirt....lol).........BUT

Anyone out there old enough to remember Old Time Radio.....the dramas (like the Shadow and the Whistler) and the comedies (like Abbot and Costello, and George Burns and Gracie Allan).....?

This thread got me thinkin' and gettin' very nostalgic, and so I went searching and found a great site.....that has over 12,000 radio shows available for listening.....very kewl....

Since I'm never sure on the 'posting of websites' on this forum, and I'm too lazy (or too old....lol) to check out the rules, if you're interested, just PM me or e-mail me (both are availabe), and I'll send you the link......I spent hours listening and laughing yesterday..... (o:

NoelleR
Old 04-02-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
(me being not only 'older 'n dirt' but more than likely 'older 'n older 'n dirt....lol)
I was almost as old as dirt but after my last birthday, I now feel I am as old as dirt itself.

My mother's aunt would watch us in the mornings a few days a week. I grew up seeing all the old style things but never heard the old radio programs. I did get to crank the victrola and listen to some old 78's though. Columbia records.
When I was 4 years old the phone service changed from party line to single service. Aunt Lucy kept her party line for another 2 years because it cost $2 less. "Your phone is ringing..." No my ring is the short one.
She bought the new TV...Motorla...with the works in a drawer. She also bought my parents a new TV when they first came out with color. Solid state TVs...no more tubes (truth was it had only half the tubes of others) We had a TV repairman that lived one street over and the local store had a tube tester you could use for free to test your TV and radio tubes.
Today...it breaks you throw it away rather then get it fixed.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by prodigal View Post

best - Have you ever thought of trying out as a "Jeopardy!" contestant? You are our hero - the official F&F board Answer Man!
No way because Jeopardy doesn'y allow the use of google *LOL*
If you remember enough but not the whole answer...Google works great.

Sky King and the Everglads show I never would have even thought of till it was posted. Flipper...now that is a show I do remember.

Now what was the name of that show?
They used puppets and I think they lived underwater in a world under the seas.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Does anyone remember Sea Hunt? That was one program that I never missed....I wish they had reruns. I loved Miss Jean and was always waiting for her to see me through the TV... More recently I love a good laugh and find Seinfeld hilarious.

My family, all six of us were on BOZO the Clown Show out of Boston in the early 60's. How excited we all were. When Bozo twirled around and chose "Butch for a day" he chose my younger brother who then started crying....frightened to death. My older sister who was sitting beside my brother jumped up and took his spot. She was thrilled and we were thrilled for her.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by underwood View Post
Does anyone remember Sea Hunt? That was one program that I never missed....I wish they had reruns.
Reruns of that would be great. Lloyd Bridges in the early years.

Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea was another I would watch a lot.

ping ping ping

Today the ping ping ping would drive me nuts though *LOL*
No reruns of that show please.