more **** hitting the fan...again and again

Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sister of Alcoholic

Angry more **** hitting the fan...again and again

The drama continues.

my husband and I went out to breakfast to discuss what Jane's options realistically are. We cannot have her stay here another day or night. i need some normalcy back in my life. I told her that and she got all defensive. My husband and I--while out to breakfast--decided that we would outline her options as:

stay with my brother and his wife for a night
move into another residential hotel
stay with another friend.

We came home and I told her "We have some options that we'd like to discuss with you: you can get in touch with your friend _________ and stay with her, you can move to this other residential hotel, or you can stay with our brother when he gets home from work tonight". She was very cold towards me and told me, "Don't worry, I'm leaving. I just talked to dad and he's going to pay for me to stay in a hotel tonight.". I said, "well, that's what I expected from him; I'm sure he thinks I'm the bad, evil, daughter now" and she said, "you don't even WANT to know what he said" in this smug way and then stormed off to our bathroom to take a shower.

So there you have it. Daddy dearest has rescued her once again, made me, my husband, my brother, and his wife to be the bad people, and is punishing us by playing up the "poor little Jane who can't take care of herself" routine.

I've completely separated myself from my parents. I am not going to talk to them and I deleted an email from them this morning before reading it. I am just so angry, upset, and I'm saying to myself, "WHY didn't I know better than to help her out again?" She doesn't give a damn that I spent my whole weekend helping her move her stuff out of the apartment she was evicted from, that I spent 4 hours of my day yesterday sitting in the lobby of this residential hotel with her while we waited for a key to the room, that I've put her up for two days and two nights.

and I know i'm to blame for caving in and enabling her...I can't stop this cycle. I feel physically sick; my heart won't stop pounding and I only slept three hours last night.
I'm going to talk to a therapist this morning, and then this afternoon I might seek out an Al Anon meeting. I just need normalcy and I feel like i'm on this sick rollercoaster that won't stop.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, at least she's leaving and you can get back to normal life. {hugs}
Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

((((fed-up))))

I was portrayed as the "bad guy" too. I am happier now than I was when they were "happy" with me. It is still worth it...even if they think I am the "bad guy". I just had to count the blessings that I did have...and leave the rest up to my HP. I know it wasn't healthy to remain involved in that toxic cycle.

Good for you seeking out counseling and alanon.

No contact sounds good...at least until you can get some sleep....please take care!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

its hard, but sometimes we have to be willing to experience others' displeasure in us while we take care of ourselves and stay on our healthy path.

the choices as outlined to your sister, were the healthy response to an unhealthy family constellation. IE: you rocked the boat.

splish splash.

this situation will indded pass, and your life will be much better for the fact that you care enough to honor your own needs. I support you!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miss communicat View Post
its hard, but sometimes we have to be willing to experience others' displeasure in us while we take care of ourselves and stay on our healthy path.

the choices as outlined to your sister, were the healthy response to an unhealthy family constellation. IE: you rocked the boat.

splish splash.

this situation will indded pass, and your life will be much better for the fact that you care enough to honor your own needs. I support you!
oh my gosh...i'm going through a similar situation with my family right now..i couldn't have said this better..
Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I stood my ground against some backlash and today I am glad I did. I'd suggest doing what is best for you and your marriage. I choose to not be in the drama and mess of others' lives.

Good luck to you and I hope you and your husband enjoy the peace and quiet.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Hey there!

I was struck reading your posts today by a similarity that I read on here not long ago. Your family sounds similar to mine, as I've told you already, my mum and dad play the guilt and blame game with me all the time! Anyway this was posted by Karmakoma, I've put the link to the thread up as well, if you want to read it...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-triangle.html

I've highlighted the points that I think sound like your situation with your family. I hope the insight helps you.

Lily xxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by karmakoma View Post
Triangular Pain
Living on the Drama Triangle creates misery. The primary commonality is that none of the players know how to take responsibility for themselves. The cost is tremendous for all three roles and lead to emotional, mental and even physical pain.....

.....Rescuers, for instance, believe that their needs should be denied as unimportant and irrelevant. The only way they can legitimately connect with others and feel valued and have their needs met, is by taking care of someone else. Rescuers chastise themselves when they aren't care-taking others. Their primary myth is; "If I take care of others well enough and long enough, then I will be fulfilled and feel loved." Unfortunately, Rescuers are involved with life-time Victims who have no idea of how to be there for others. This reinforces the Caretaker's core belief that they shouldn’t be needy, which then produces more shame surrounding their needs.

Getting Off the Triangle
In order to get off the Triangle, we must first decide to take responsibility for ourselves. We then begin to allow ourselves to acknowledge and express our true feelings, even when doing so is uncomfortable. As we explore our core beliefs and starting gate positions, we become better able to recognize when someone is attempting to hook us into unhealthy behavior, and refuse to participate. Learning to have guilty feelings without acting on them is a big part of resisting the Victim game. Feeling guilt does not necessarily imply that we are behaving unethically. Guilt is a learned response. Sometimes guilt indicates that we've broken a dysfunctional family rule. Unhealthy beliefs about ourselves and the world, instilled in childhood, become rigid rules that need to be violated. Family dictums such as: don't talk about it, don't share feelings, or it's selfish to take care of yourself, must be overcome if we are to grow. We can expect, and even celebrate the guilt, when we defy these deeply entrenched family rules.

Getting honest with ourselves and others is a primary way to get off the triangle. Telling our truth is a key way of taking responsibility. We then must be willing to take necessary action for whatever that truth reveals. In order for a Rescuer to get honest, for instance, they have to confess their investment in keeping others dependent. This means acknowledging that being a rescuer fills their need for self-worth. In this way, Rescuers learn to recognize and address their own needs.

Ironically, the doorway off the triangle for all roles is through the persecutor position. This is because when we decide to get off the triangle, we are often seen as persecutors by those still on it. Once we decide to take self-responsibility and tell our truth, those still aboard are likely to accuse us of victimizing them. "How dare you refuse to take care of me," a Victim might cry. Or "What do you mean you don't need my help?" a primary enabler enrages when a victim decides to become accountable. In other words, to escape the victim grid, we must be willing to be perceived as the "bad guy." This doesn't make it so, but we must be willing to sit with the discomfort of being perceived as such.

© 2007 Lynne Forrest

Lynne Forrest: The Faces of Victim
Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Hmmm highlights didn't work out!! Never mind, I obviously need more practice!

Lily xxxxxxx
Old 02-18-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Newsflash,

The rollercoaster can and will stop when you are ready to get off. If your parents want to go on enabling your sister that is their business. Your business is you, getting yourself well and in a better place. Try to get to some Alanon meetings.

ngaire

Originally Posted by really_fed_up View Post
The drama continues.

my husband and I went out to breakfast to discuss what Jane's options realistically are. We cannot have her stay here another day or night. i need some normalcy back in my life. I told her that and she got all defensive. My husband and I--while out to breakfast--decided that we would outline her options as:

stay with my brother and his wife for a night
move into another residential hotel
stay with another friend.

We came home and I told her "We have some options that we'd like to discuss with you: you can get in touch with your friend _________ and stay with her, you can move to this other residential hotel, or you can stay with our brother when he gets home from work tonight". She was very cold towards me and told me, "Don't worry, I'm leaving. I just talked to dad and he's going to pay for me to stay in a hotel tonight.". I said, "well, that's what I expected from him; I'm sure he thinks I'm the bad, evil, daughter now" and she said, "you don't even WANT to know what he said" in this smug way and then stormed off to our bathroom to take a shower.

So there you have it. Daddy dearest has rescued her once again, made me, my husband, my brother, and his wife to be the bad people, and is punishing us by playing up the "poor little Jane who can't take care of herself" routine.

I've completely separated myself from my parents. I am not going to talk to them and I deleted an email from them this morning before reading it. I am just so angry, upset, and I'm saying to myself, "WHY didn't I know better than to help her out again?" She doesn't give a damn that I spent my whole weekend helping her move her stuff out of the apartment she was evicted from, that I spent 4 hours of my day yesterday sitting in the lobby of this residential hotel with her while we waited for a key to the room, that I've put her up for two days and two nights.

and I know i'm to blame for caving in and enabling her...I can't stop this cycle. I feel physically sick; my heart won't stop pounding and I only slept three hours last night.
I'm going to talk to a therapist this morning, and then this afternoon I might seek out an Al Anon meeting. I just need normalcy and I feel like i'm on this sick rollercoaster that won't stop.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your heart won't stop pounding BECAUSE you only got three hours of sleep last night. Don't put the cart before the horse. You are under enormous emotional stress and it is eating you alive, keeping you strapped to the rollercoaster.

Let go.

You can only save YOU, fed_up. If your parents want to be enablers, let them. If they choose to ostracize you because you won't be an enabler too, that's unfortunate, but it just means limiting your contact with them as well.

I come from a family full of enablers who get angry each time they try to draw me into one situation or another and I won't play any more. They think they teach me a lesson, but really all they teach me each time is that I don't need their toxicity in my life.

When they're gone, I can feel my muscles relax, my blood pressure go dowwwn, my possibilities return. I let go, and let God, as they say. This is for Him to worry about, not me.

Your life is your life. Do with it what YOU are put here to do, and somehow I don't think that includes bailing out someone who neither appreciates it, nor plans to change their behavior.

Get some rest, get some distance, turn off your phone (or block certain numbers), go to a meeting. In a couple of days, you will feel much stronger and capable of making the right choices....for you.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sometimes it seems like we are human sponges that soak up all the anxiety in the room as if it is our "duty" to take in their pain for them. Other times I picture a sort of spirit around my body that is getting sucked away by others who need my "light", if that isn't too weird! You have to be careful to remove yourself from those people before they take too much of your sanity or load you up with their insanity, you know? What is going to happen is going to happen, same old story, only this time you are stepping far enough away to keep the negative, the toxicity (so poisonous!) out of reach of YOU.