Question about: Hands off the Alcoholic

Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That is a great question! I don't know the answer though.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CoDeependentMe View Post
Question: If the addict needs to abstain from the substance in order to maintain sobriety. What or who do we need to stay away from in order to maintain our mental health?
What I gather from many of the threads on SR, is that simply staying away from the alcohol is not enough. It also takes changes in behavior, attitude, and beliefs.

I believe the same is true for me as a codependent. I must transform the parts of me that led me to unhealthy, self-destructive choices so that I can make healthy choices in the future. When I change from within, then I can decide if I need to "abstain" from certain people, situations, or what have you. But merely removing myself from someone or something does nothing to solve my inner problems.

L
Old 01-18-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CoDeependentMe View Post
Question: If the addict needs to abstain from the substance in order to maintain sobriety. What or who do we need to stay away from in order to maintain our mental health?

Thanks,
CoDee

I think this question might be interesting to post on it's own Thread. I don't want to move this thread off topic.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It's not my job to parent anyone unless I am legally obliged. If another adult wishes to learn how to function as such, then there are plenty of agencies out there to assist.

I think this was so much at the core of what was so screwed up about my relationship with my ex. I wanted him to be a certain way, he kind of wanted to be that way (but only so I wouldn't leave), but the reality was so far from the fantasy. I decided to set myself free to find someone who was already what I wanted in a partner, rather than trying to mould play-doh. It hasn't happened yet, however I am so glad that I left so that I can be me and he can be him.