another mom of addicted adult child

Old 12-02-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Look forward to getting to know you here. It sounds like you have a lot of
experience, strength + hope (ESH) to share with us.
You have been scared for your daughter for many yrs. now. There is no other choice but to turn her over to her own HP because worry will only hurt you and rob
you of the wonderful life that you are meant to have.
My son is currently in a better place than in the past. After barely hearing for him for 5 yrs. we are close today. Things change, people change, we just keep hope and faith alive and learn to let go. It sounds like you already know this.
The support system here is awesome.
I go to an Al-anon mtg. just for parents It has really been beneficial.reetings from the Mom of 23 y o Addicted son (AS)
Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by hope213 View Post
welcome to f & f, i am also glad you found us. it is really hard for us to watch our children destroy themselves. i am the mom of an addict. what the site has made me see is i did not CAUSE it, i can not CONTROL it & i can not CURE it.it is totally up to our children. we can not love them clean & sober. i have stepped back & kept my hands off my addict. i know he has got to hit his bottom to ever get better. i do not cushion his fall. there is alot of advice & support here for you.please keep coming back,we r here for you. my prayers for you & your daughter.
thankyou so much hope213, your post has warmed my heart. It has taken me so long to realize I am not responsible, but the guilt of having caused it? still tries to have its day, but i just try not to live in fear....and keep moving forward. Having gone thru years of trying to keep this kid on the planet, its an old habit to break, but knowing I have the RIGHT to detach has been a lifesaver.
grateful2b
Old 12-03-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, grateful. my daughter is also 23 and struggles with cocaine/alcohol addiction. i understand your pain. keep reaching out! blessings, k
Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Congratulations on your recovery, Kelsh...Iholy cow, admire your strength to be in recovery AND dealing with a son who is so challenged :hail
thank you for your:comfort ...I hope I see you again in posts..
grateful2b
Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

You have been scared for your daughter for many yrs. now. There is no other choice but to turn her over to her own HP because worry will only hurt you and rob
you of the wonderful life that you are meant to have.
Thank you Serenity, being scared for her for so long has become a disease in itself and I have to work daily at telling myself that detaching is the most loving thing i can do for us. Because of her cancer, and her anxiety disorder and her depression, I kept thinking that I had to find a way to help her ; it was my job. Finally the addiction, the behaviour and the recognition that she just wanted to drink more sobered me up....bur I just need to keep telling myself....I deserve, I deserve.
My son is currently in a better place than in the past. After barely hearing for him for 5 yrs. we are close today. Things change, people change, we just keep hope and faith alive and learn to let go. It sounds like you already know this.
Oh gosh, I am so glad for you!
I go to an Al-anon mtg. just for parents
I have not found one for parents but I think I'll have another look..
Thanks Serenity,
grateful2b
Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by parentrecovers View Post
nice to meet you, grateful. my daughter is also 23 and struggles with cocaine/alcohol addiction. i understand your pain. keep reaching out! blessings, k
Thanks , parentrecovers, I am SO happy to finally be in the company of such seasoned parents in this struggle!:bounce:
grateful2b