Confused

Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vine View Post
He has told me he has relapsed and I feel so upset. Im pleased he was honest with me but I now feel I left in vain
If you left with the motivation being to change him, you need to keep repeating the 3 Cs some more. You cannot change him, only he can choose to change.

Leaving is for you! Take this time to work on yourself and improve your life. Do not put your life on hold with any expectation that he will do anything, good or bad.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
If you left with the motivation being to change him, you need to keep repeating the 3 Cs some more. You cannot change him, only he can choose to change.
barbara took the words right out of my mouth! he will drink regardless of whether or not you're there. leaving an alcoholic will not force them to stop. most would rather have the can of beer by their side than you. i agree with the others that leaving him should have been a choice that you made for yourself to get better and have your own life back without the weariness one feels from being in a relationship with an alcoholic. i would use this time to work on you, rather than keeping any of your focus on him.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He would have relapsed with you there, or with you not there. Don't fault yourself that you didn't get a ringside seat this time.....do you really miss all that drama and pain? You can't control his drinking. All you can control is how much it destroys your peace of mind.

Stick with it for a while. Learn to love yourself and take care of yourself and worry about yourself.....as much as you do about him.

He has to do this on his own.