Is a new relationship a good idea?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is a new relationship a good idea?

I’m sure this sorry isn’t new or interesting, but I really need some advice.

I have been in a relationship with an alcoholic for about 8 months. She was open and up front with her alcoholism right from the start. She was in AA and had been sober for 8 months when we met. She felt good about dating me, as I am a non-drinker, even though it was against the AA rules to date so soon. After starting to date me for a short time she decided to leave AA as she did not feel it was doing anything for her. She also decided that she was not an alcoholic and could have a drink or two. I went out with her once. It did not go well at all.

Months have gone by and she had been doing pretty well, until recently. In the last couple weeks things have changed. She has gone out and drank until she was “black out” drunk a few times. Obviously, this bothers me a great deal. It seems the more I encourage her to get more help and not to drink, the more she wants to go in the other direction. She is seeing a therapist, but I have my concerns about how much that is helping.

She broke up with me last week. I was terribly upset. I am really falling for this girl. The next day she told me that she didn’t really want to break up with me. She just really wanted to go to the bar and knew I would not approve. I took her back.

She went out Thursday and got “black out” drunk again. She was surprised when I wanted to talk about it yesterday. She said that she could not control herself and that she needed to hit rock bottom before she would get any real help. I don’t know if this relationship is doing her any good or if it’s just hurting her.

I really want to be supportive, but I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to sit back and watch this happen. At the same time, I know there isn’t anything I can do. So, my options are be there or don’t be there.

What should I do?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, chidave. my daughter is an alcoholic/coke addict. she has never been able to control her drinking or using - she can't stop once she starts and blacks out as well. then the episodes get closer together. and things go downhill fast.

alcoholism is a progressive disease.

have you thought about going to alanon? it helps me.

remember this about her drinking - you didn't cause it, you can't cure it, and you cannot control it. that's the 3 c's of alanon. there's a 4th, and that one is about the choices you have as to how you allow her drinking to affect your life.

keep posting! and i'll pray your girlfriend finds her way back to aa..

k
Old 10-27-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Concerns...

k,

What is the best way to handle things with her? When she goes out drinking she generally returns home very depressed and has hurt herself on occasion. Do I go running to her and take care of her? Do I not go and condemn her behavior?

After she goes out drinking, do I try to talk to her about it or do I just ignore it? Do I encourage her to get more help?

She really didn't get much out of AA. She liked the sponsor relationship, but she did not like the meetings. She usually came home after the meetings kind of upset about how uncomfortable she is there.

Thank you for your input.

Dave.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

To quote an ancient movie:

"The only way to win is not to play."
Old 10-27-2007, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Translation?

Originally Posted by WantsOut View Post
To quote an ancient movie:

"The only way to win is not to play."
So, get out now? Before I fall for her more?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Run,,,VERY FAST RUNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Old 10-27-2007, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Dave, and welcome to these boards.

I had to go no contact with XABF simply because I was no longer willing to "play". In other words, playing refers to the picking them up when they fall, having the talks (XABF referred to them as lectures) when they are sober, trying to reason with them, feeling physically and emotionally bad when they don't "do" what they promised with seeming remorse. When you "play", you are ultimately hurting yourself because you are trying to control what you can't. I strongly encourage you to read Co-dependent No More by Melody Beattie because I guarantee you will see shades of yourself in there.....I did even though I knew when I got involved with XABF that he was an alcoholic. I was a rescuer....rescuing is playing too.

I am not telling you to get out before you fall for her more but I will suggest that the worse she gets the more you will control what you can IF you read up on co-dep behaviour and maybe attend Al Anon meetings.

ARL
Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChiDave View Post
So, get out now? Before I fall for her more?
Yup, unless you want a life of constant ups and downs, pain and frustration. Sorry to be so harsh but unless she is really serious about fighting her addicition (and it doesn't sound like she is) you have nothing to look forward to but more of the same or worse.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish you luck for that is all I can do, I appologize I can do more, I can pray.....you have some very hard thinking to do you are in a horrid spot.....I know I have been there.......Good luck keep posting it does help.:praying
Old 10-27-2007, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ARealLady View Post
Hi, Dave, and welcome to these boards.

I had to go no contact with XABF simply because I was no longer willing to "play". In other words, playing refers to the picking them up when they fall, having the talks (XABF referred to them as lectures) when they are sober, trying to reason with them, feeling physically and emotionally bad when they don't "do" what they promised with seeming remorse. When you "play", you are ultimately hurting yourself because you are trying to control what you can't. I strongly encourage you to read Co-dependent No More by Melody Beattie because I guarantee you will see shades of yourself in there.....I did even though I knew when I got involved with XABF that he was an alcoholic. I was a rescuer....rescuing is playing too.

I am not telling you to get out before you fall for her more but I will suggest that the worse she gets the more you will control what you can IF you read up on co-dep behaviour and maybe attend Al Anon meetings.

ARL
I'm really at a loss. Part of me thinks that my girlfriend really needs someone in her life that stands by her no matter what. I might not always agree with her, but I will always stand beside her. Another part of me thinks that she is going down a bad path and I can't stop her or even slow her down. If anything, it seems like I'm speeding things up.

She even told me that she thinks I'm going to break up with her. When she is sober, I really love this girl. Am I just being totally co-dependent?

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If she is still drinking, she isn't serious about stopping. Therefore anything you say is going to go in one ear and out the other with perhaps a stop to cause an argument.

I tried to stand by my AH, tried to get him to stop drinkning and deal with his issues. He wasn't interested. I finally stopped beating my head against the wall and left him to deal with his life as he chose to live it.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

k,

What is the best way to handle things with her? When she goes out drinking she generally returns home very depressed and has hurt herself on occasion. Do I go running to her and take care of her? Do I not go and condemn her behavior?

After she goes out drinking, do I try to talk to her about it or do I just ignore it? Do I encourage her to get more help?

She really didn't get much out of AA. She liked the sponsor relationship, but she did not like the meetings. She usually came home after the meetings kind of upset about how uncomfortable she is there.

Thank you for your input.

Dave.
the best you can do is lead by good example by getting into alanon. her alcoholism will kick your butt every time, if you try to save her...it does not work.

she has to want to help herself.

she still talking to her sponsor? i hope so.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm really at a loss. Part of me thinks that my girlfriend really needs someone in her life that stands by her no matter what. I might not always agree with her, but I will always stand beside her. Another part of me thinks that she is going down a bad path and I can't stop her or even slow her down. If anything, it seems like I'm speeding things up.
Nothing or nobody in her life will get her to change her ways, only she can do that. I stood beside my AH in hopes that he would realize his family is worth giving up the drinking but it only got worse and now we will be going down the path of divorce, 10 years later.

Alcholism is progressive and will not go away so you are correct when you say you can't stop her or slow her down.

The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want for your life?
Old 10-27-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,

I agree with the others. I am an alcoholic and when I was drinking I didn't care about anything unless I had a drink in hand. I usually drank at home...but would get what you call "Black Out Drunk" almost every night after work.

When I finally quit I had divorced two husbands and just kept on drinking and more drinking until I was at my bottom. I asked for help. I did what was suggested to me. No one told me when to drink or when to quit. I had to do it for myself and if someone tried to stop me from drinking I would drink all the more.

You need to make your own decision for yourself as to what you want out of life for YOU!
Old 10-27-2007, 02:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Obviously, this bothers me a great deal.....

I was terribly upset.

I am really falling for this girl.

She just really wanted to go to the bar

She went out Thursday and got “black out” drunk again.

I don’t know if this relationship is doing her any good or if it’s just hurting her.
How is the relationship working out for you? Is it doing you any good?

Any relationship..alcoholic or not... we need ask ourself... What are we willing to live with for the rest of our lives? There are no gaurantees that once sober always sober
or once healthy, always healthy. What are you wanting and willing to put up with for the rest of your life?
When you ask yourself that question and find an answer... you will do what is best for you both.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

She even told me that she thinks I'm going to break up with her.

Dave....this is something XABF regularly said to me and more frequently AFTER I began calling him on his increased drinking. I would say it is a kind of projection because at some level the A knows his/her disease is not acceptable and it will just be a matter of time before the new partner pulls away. And I think you can see where a comment like this is already sounding like "poor me, poor me". The listener/partner is forced into saying "don't be crazy, why would I leave you?" Then....maybe you, the non-A partner, realize you just can't take the relationship any longer and for the A their prediction has come true. After that you hear accusations that you had to have met someone else, that you are cheating and all that quack, quack, quack.

Think about something....in previous past relationships did you ever suggest to your partner that they would find somebody better than you and break up with you? Sadly, much of the A's thinking is negative.

ARL
Old 10-27-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, Dave and welcome to this board. Okay, you are hearing from the folks here who have dealt with this disease - many of us for years. However, you persist in asking, "What can I do?" YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING TO MAKE HER QUIT DRINKING. As long as you keep helping, enabling, having talks with, "supporting" her, giving her a shoulder to cry on, etc., etc. she will continue to do what addicts do; namely, manipulate you.

You will end up with migraine headaches, ulcers, and all sorts of emotional problems. She will continue to drink, not take responsibility, and zone out into the land of the drunk. Period.

As you were asked previously, what are you getting out of a relationship with an addict who has you riding on her emotional roller coaster? Think about what you are getting out of this for awhile. Ponder upon it. Then consider attending Al-Anon meetings. You may not understand what the folks are talking about in the meetings at first, but give it a try anyway.

Read the stickies at the top of our forum. Read some books on the disease of alcohlism. Amazon has plenty of books available on addiction. Another good read for you would be "Codependent No More" by Melodie Beattie.

When we get involved with addicts and try to "help" them and fix them; when we tolerate their bad behaviors by saying, "but I love him/her," when we make excuses for them and get sucked into their insanity, we are behaving in a codependent manner.

With knowledge comes self-empowerment. I would highly suggest you click on Mr. Christian's name and read some of his earliest posts. He is an example of recovery. When he says "RUN," believe me he knows 'cause he's walked the walk.

Best of luck and please keep posting and venting as much as you need to.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I want to sincerely thank you all for your input. It has really been extremely helpful. I have been lucky enough to have never dealt with addiction.

This is all so new to me and therefore rather scary. I'm going to sleep on things. Try to take everything in and make a clear headed decision.

It seems that I either need to break up with her or get myself to an Al-Anon meeting. Just continuing on the way things have been going is not working out very well.

I will be certain to post again tomorrow with more. Till then, thank you for your support.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In Shock! :(

Since I last posted I went back and forth a million and one times. Break up with her, Go to Al-Anon. Break up with her, Go to Al-Anon. And so on.

She called me this morning. Talking to her definitely made me think that we could make it. Hearing her voice. I just couldn't ignore what was on my mind. All the stuff that I posted here and all the stuff you all posted in response.

I explained to her where I was. How one half of me wanted to be with her and the other half needed to break up with her. There was a lot of long silences. I cried. I asked her if she hated me. She asked me if that meant that we are broken up. I said I guess so and cried some more. After that, she got off the phone pretty quickly.

I'm in shock. My stomach is in knots. Breathing is labored. I'm just at a total loss right now. I really hope I did the right thing.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Is it weird that I miss her already?