Courage to Change ~ Sept 6

Old 09-06-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ Sept 6

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 9/6

A writer for a local newspaper recently maintained that most people spend more time planning vacations than they do thinking about what is really important in their lives. Of course a vacation has a certain importance, but as our slogan asks, “How important is it?”

In my case, the main focus of my mental activity usually is whatever problem, grievance, or irritation I am entertaining at the moment. “Now,” I tell myself, “I’m concentrating on what’s really important!” But, “How important is it?” When I look back on this two years from now, or next month, will it matter?

Al-Anon helps me to address the larger concerns in my life. For example, how can I make better contact with my Higher Power? Am I taking time to enjoy the present moment? Am I becoming the person I want to be? What can I give thanks for today?

Today’s Reminder

Are my priorities in order? Am I so busy with smaller, less meaningful concerns that I run out of time for the really important considerations? Today I will make room to think about what really matters.

“Today I’ll use the slogan, ‘How important is it?’ It will help me think things through before I act and it will give me a better picture of just what is important in my life.”

Alateen—a day at a time
Old 09-06-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

But, “How important is it?” When I look back on this two years from now, or next month, will it matter?
The best example I know of is my own sons when they were teenagers. I remember how consumed they were with their friends, having the "right" shoes, the "right" backpack, being able to attend certain events that were soooo important to them.

Now, at ages 22 and 24, they can look back on those times and laugh, seeing them from another perspective. Each has maintained one friendship from their high school crowd and barely remember some of those parties or events that were life and death decisions at the time.

How important is it? That's a good question to ask myself every day. I want to spend my time and energies on things that will contribute to my life in a positive and healthy way.

~Cats
Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
The best example I know of is my own sons when they were teenagers. I remember how consumed they were with their friends, having the "right" shoes, the "right" backpack, being able to attend certain events that were soooo important to them.

Now, at ages 22 and 24, they can look back on those times and laugh, seeing them from another perspective. Each has maintained one friendship from their high school crowd and barely remember some of those parties or events that were life and death decisions at the time.
Boy do I remember those days. Had to have OP shorts and Vans shoes to fit in with the rest of the crowd.

I love living in today, and knowing that my higher power will determine my path tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing, Cats.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 9/6

“How important is it?”
If it's not affecting my breathing, it's probably not that important.