anybody heard of this?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anybody heard of this?

he admits he's an alcoholic, but says he doesn't hide it,so he is not really an alcoholic. He drinks rum every day, but just a little bit at a time -from the time he gets home from work til he gets to bed-doesn't "behave" like he's extremely drunk. says his dad used to drink everyday. finally gets a roommate to share the bills and then blows me off because his "roommate" wants to talk. WTF?!
more like his roommate wants to drink with him, when i'm talking about a bike ride.....i'm feeling like i was used like a security blanket until he got someone else to help alleviate his financial woes...i tried my best to retain detachment from his drinking-maybe i just didn't play the game of "alcoholic" well enough - cause i refuse to participate in my own victimization...i am thinking because of what i know of his roomie (who is his "only" friend) that he may know how to play the role of persecutor quite well...makes me think this guy sure needs to do some recovery time; he sure does talk the talk of being so spiritually aware, but he is not walking the walk. i am so disappointed.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

he admits he's an alcoholic, but says he doesn't hide it,so he is not really an alcoholic.

I read something like this in a political book once. It went like this:

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Old 09-11-2007, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Sounds like a typical alcoholic to me.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He's in denial -- the number 1 "symptom" of alcoholism.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
he admits he's an alcoholic, but says he doesn't hide it,so he is not really an alcoholic.
Guh! Mine used to say "I'm painfully aware of my drinking problem" and would proceed to try and turn it around for sympathy, it was amazing how often it worked on his friends and family. I still cringe anytime I hear "I'm painfully aware" come out of anyone's mouth. That phrase is like fingernails down the chalkboard for me.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mine used to tell me that drinking wasn't working for him anymore (after destroying one car, banging up another and laying down his motorcycle) but would continue to do so and blame me as the cause of it. I had no idea I had so much power!!! Whatever. Insanity. I chose to not live like that anymore.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

escape, I'd suggest you look further down the page to the "Famous Quotes" thread. I'm sure what you have said is mentioned by someone there. I have watched my AH down booze 24/7 for several weeks at a time, only taking a break to pass out before starting up again. I see it, he sees it, but so what? Yeah, the excuse that they don't "hide" it means they're not an alkie. He may claim not to hide it, but I bet there's a bottle lurking somewhere that he laid down during a blackout and he has forgotten where he put it. I quit looking for bottles three years ago. They used to pop up when I'm cleaning house. Now when I find one, I just put it back where I found it.

hmbld - I, too, got the PAINFULLY aware version several times. Yeah, he was "painfully aware" of his "situation ... must be why he's still actively pursuing the bottle. So much pain, so little time ... Just another form of the blah, blah, blah ...