Next step

Old 08-04-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Next step

I am new to this site. I have recently put my foot down and reached my limit with my AH. I have been dealing with his drinking for the past 13 years and mostly for the last 9 since children are now in the picture. I have reached my limit and I am not sure that I can continue with him in the house. He has recently returned from his military training and I have told him that he is not allowed to drink in the house or around the children any longer. I really dont care if he continues to drink only that he doesnt do it here. I am "finished". I dont think he will ever be successful in quitting and I think we are just "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic". I refuse to go down with the ship. He has all the symptoms of the progression of the disease to include; short term memory loss, and sexual problems. He told me last night that part of him wants to quit and part of him does not. The odds are not in his favor or ours. I have not been to AlAnon but I plan on going this next week. I have visited with a counselor who basically told me the ball was in his court. I guess I just needed to vent. So thank you.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Daisie,,,welcome to SR!!!

I remember the day I became "all done". One last embarassment and a good hard look at what my life had become. I to "jumped ship" but the seas have been rough. Nonetheless its still better than drowning. I got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Its only been a few short months since I put my boundary's in place, and SR was the lifeboat I jump into once the ship started going down. I came here and poured my core out on these boards, attend alanon and found a SLEW of the best FRIENDS in the world.

There will be others along far smarted than me to help you navigate the waters.

Keep posting, keep taking steps forward. Play the tape through when you think it will change.

But most of all, NOW take care of you and those precious children

Peace
Old 08-04-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a newbie on these boards, daisies, but from what I have seen and read here nobody gets to "go down with the ship"....there are life-jackets, flotation devices and fully stocked life boats captained by people who know what they are talking about! Welcome aboard!

It sounds like you are good at establishing boundaries to protect yourself and your children.

ARL