Inner Guidance

Old 07-22-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inner Guidance

I've been thinking about this a lot recently and lo and behold, this email arrived today. I see so much pain on these boards and wonder if the majority is caused, not by the people in our lives, but by the stress of ignoring what our guts are telling us. I know that is certainly the case for me - when I am not living congruently and authentically, I become a mess, physically, mentally and emotionally. My relationships worsen because I am in a state of reaction and I descend into a well of despair and confusion. My "What's the point?" button gets pushed hard and I withdraw into myself. I'm gonna start listening harder to what I am being told by my best teacher - my inner voice.

Using Your Inner Guidance System
By: Brian Tracy

You have incredible powers of mind and emotions that give you timely and accurate feedback in every area of your life.

Using Your Inner Guidance System
We know that the body has a natural bias toward health and energy. It's designed to last for 100 years with proper care and maintenance. When something goes wrong with any part of our body, we experience it in the form of pain or discomfort of some kind. We know that when our body is not functioning smoothly and painlessly, something is wrong, and we take action to correct it. We go to a doctor; we take pills; we undergo physical therapy, massage or chiropractic. We know that if we ignore pain or discomfort for any period of time, it could lead to something more serious.

How to Tell Right From Wrong
In the same sense, nature also gives us a way to tell emotionally what's right for us and what's wrong for us in life. Just as nature gives us physical pain to guide us to doing or not doing things in the physical realm, nature gives us emotional pain to guide us toward doing or not doing things in the emotional or mental realm. The wonderful thing is that you're constructed so that if you simply listen carefully to yourself-to your mind, your body and your emotions-and follow the guidance you're given, you can dramatically enhance the quality of your life. Just as the natural physical state of your body is health and vitality, your natural emotional state is peace and happiness. Whenever you experience a deviation from peace and happiness, it's an indication that something is amiss. Something is wrong with what you're thinking, doing or saying. Your feeling of inner happiness is the best indicator you could ever have to tell you what you should be doing more of and what you should be doing less of.

The Messenger
Unhappiness is to your life as pain is to your body. It is sent as a messenger to tell you that what you're doing is wrong for you. Very often, you'll suffer from what has been called "divine discontent." You'll feel fidgety and uneasy for a reason or reasons that are unclear to you. You'll be dissatisfied with the status quo. Sometimes, you'll be unable to sleep. Sometimes, you'll be angry or irritable. Very often, you'll get upset with things that have nothing to do with the real issue. You'll have a deep inner sense that something isn't as it should be, and you'll often feel like a fish on a hook, wriggling and squirming emotionally to get free.

Divine Discontent
And that is a good thing. Divine discontent always comes before a positive life change. If you were perfectly satisfied, you would never take any action to improve or change your circumstances. Only when you're dissatisfied for some reason do you have the inner motivation to engage in the outer behaviors that lead you onward and upward. Listen to yourself. Trust your inner voice. Go with the flow of your own personality. Do the things that make you feel happy inside and you'll probably never make another mistake.

Action Exercises
Here are three steps you can take immediately to put these ideas into action.

First, listen to yourself and trust your own feelings. If there is a part of your life that causes you stress and unhappiness, resolve to deal with it.

Second, identify those areas of your life where you are dissatisfied or frustrated for any reason. What changes should you, could you make?

Third, remember that nature wants you to be happy, healthy, popular and prosperous. Any deviation from those conditions is a signal to you that action is necessary.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Minnie,

This post is very timely for me as well! Thank you!
More positive changes must be in store for me as I have been feeling a little discontent lately! For me, the unknown school year approaching has me more anxious than ever before. My inner voice knows best. I just have to act in my best interest!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, Minnie - thank you! I have just downloaded it and as azteacher said, this is sage (and timely) advice for me.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a good post! I absolutely need to start listening to my inner self. I remember the month before I married stbxAH, I had a terrible feeling about it. The actual wedding day, I felt it even more so. My dad asked me, in a teasing way but yet in a serious way too, if I wanted to go out the back and not walk down the aisle. Honestly, I was tempted. I dismissed it as nerves. Interesting indeed.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Minnie- I always LOVE your posts. Always something lovely to post and inspiration to give.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Great post as always Minnie! I have been learning to listen to myself alot better as of late this post will help to continue in that area of growth!

(((Minnie)))
Old 07-23-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by minnie View Post
when I am not living congruently and authentically, I become a mess, physically, mentally and emotionally. My relationships worsen because I am in a state of reaction and I descend into a well of despair and confusion. My "What's the point?" button gets pushed hard and I withdraw into myself. .
Wow... I coulda spent months in therapy and all I had to do was read this...