help for a suffering mother

Old 07-10-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help for a suffering mother

My brother has been struggling with addiction and depression. He had made so much progress but now seems to have slipped back into that world. He has completely separated himself from his family. I have seen it written that sometimes the addict aborbs the guy. that seems so much like what has happened to him.

I believe i am coming to terms, knowing i can only wait and hope he will come back to us. But my aged mother is having much more of a problem and it is the reason i have begun to search out other mothers who might be able to help her with their stories or experiences. She is so unable to distance but rather feels she must suffer for him. And suffering she is. What a tragic thing for her final years to have to face, particularly for a women has been a good person all her life and a fine mother.

I would also request any advice on any publications or videos that might, in particular, help her situation. so much of what i see is directed for parents of younger children not grown adults.

I appreciate in advance your thoughts and for the sharing i have read her to date.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, susan45, glad you're here!

Maybe one of the mods will be along to move your post to a new thread - I'd hate to see it get lost in here.

Keep posting!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Your I. D. doesn't tell what city you live in. But you can find Al-anon mtg. directories online. I go to a mtg. that is specific to parents and there are moms attending with older grown addict children.You can buy al-anon literature
or they even have it at my public library for checkout. Having someone to Talk to like you as her daughter must help. Hugs to you both
Old 07-12-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Susan,

I can relate to your post. I have a younger sister who also suffers from addiction and severe depression. Two of my other siblings also had the same problems in the past, so my mom has been consumed by it for so long. I attend Al Anon and last night I took her to her first Al Anon meeting and she loved it. (I was actually surprised how positive she was about it). She had been crying all day and when she left she said she felt very peaceful. There are even meetings specifically for parents of addicted/alcoholic children. I would check out the Al Anon website. Good luck!