Thanks button

Old 06-23-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I value any connection with you, Minnie. A hurried press of the thank-you button, a brief thank-you reply, a lengthier reply, whatever you have to offer.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Oh yes, almost forgot, thanks for making my day!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Many times I am just too sick to write out a reply. On those times I am just grateful to be well enough to read, to still have enough money to pay for the puter connection and the puter. I really am too tired to gather my thoughts to the point of making any kind of sense. The "thanx" button allows me to still let people know that I'm reading and appreciating them, even though I don't have the energy to type.

Other times I am well enough to share (like today ) but I have other things to do around here besides participate in this forum, so if I'm flooded with PM's, or there's somebody in serious trouble that needs attention, or the tons of other stuff that goes on 'round here, I want people to know that I am here even though I'm up to my eyeballs in emergencies. The thank you button allows me to maintain a connection, albeit tenuous, while I'm busy with PM's and phone calls and what have you.

I wish I had the time to write a proper thank you to everybody who shares. Every last one of you is an inspiration to me. But there's about 600 people here _every day_ and there's just no way I can keep up. So I do the best I can. I've learned to stop trying to be perfect, and the "thanx" button is my way of accepting my own limitations

Mike
Old 06-23-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I use the THANKS button 3 ways. (1. ) I do respond to a thread and then I go back and see how others responded and if I can relate to what they added, I hit the button (2.) When there have been several responses to a thread and someone responds in a way I would have, there is no need to be redundant so I hit the button. (3) Someone responds so profoundly or intelligently or with such insight that I am impressed, I hit the button. So YES I think there is a place for the button with me.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I like it and use it as FD said....both to note an very well put post or to show support to someone who is hurting. I have thought about that before...it really doesn't make sense to use 'thanks' as a mini-cyber hug, but it seems that a lot of us have interpreted our own meaning of the thanks button and use it that way.

Originally Posted by Denny
I confess to actually feeling a 'connection" when someone puts a thanks under my post.
Me too, Denny. Once again, I know exactly what you mean.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie View Post
It still concerns me on a wider scale, that it is used instead of taking the time to compose a response to a post that obviously stirs some emotion. Surely, responses are what keep forums alive?
Maybe I'm reading into this, but we know we can't control the intent of someone's response/action, only our own. Maybe the only time needed to take was to be grateful and a thanks would suffice.

In my experience reading here, if someone wants to say more, they usually do.

Again, I'm not trying to challenge the question. I'm just working on trying not to analyze why people do the things they do. For me, that's more frustrating.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat
I have thank-you-itis
Thanx ((((FD)))) This gave me a little chuckle...
Old 06-24-2007, 02:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have to admit that when the "thanks" button first made its appearance I thought it was contrived and didn't care for it at all. Now I'll just spontaneously hit it when someone says something that gives me a wake-up call. I may not have something further I wish to say because a particular post says it all for me. Sometimes I PM folks thanking them further for the wisdom they imparted to me.

I am finishing up a college degree online. God knows, I type sometimes for 8-10 hours a day. I'll read posts and be too tired to type anymore, so I'll hit "thanks" as my way of saying I appreciate something when my fingers are numb from beating on a keyboard for too long.

I think you make a valid point, Minnie. However, I guess from time to time there are extenuating circumstances that I feel keep me from typing out my appreciation for what one has to say.