almost my first post

Old 04-13-2007, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile almost my first post

Hi people, I have been on the forum most of the afternoon, posted a reply under alcohol withdrawal and strokes in the friends and family forum. I am very glad to have found this place. I am 49 yo mother of 3. My father, and both my siblings are/were addicts. Sister died of heroin od 4 years ago, brother has been clean 8 years, Dad sober 20 years. My oldest son has used heroin, but now alcohol and has cirrhosis, hep b, an artificial hip due to an alcohol related bone disease, and has had seizures during his past two detoxes. For the most part, I feel I can love with detachment. But I am so happy to have found you all. There are some posts that have blown me away with their strength and wisdom. Today, I feel like I can't quite get my chores done and have been trying to talk to social services looking for a place for AS to go when he gets out of hospital, also reading this site. Sometimes I feel a little paralyzed when things escalate with my son ( eg late meals, not getting housework done, behind on laundy). I've had this week off because I do childcare for teachers and all the kids have been on spring break. It appears a lot of us think our family member has hit bottom, but then realize they have further to fall. My son for the most part understands and accepts my limits. I've said that I will help him find help, will drive him to rehab or hospital, will give him food, let him use my phone, but no money or staying here. This has been acceptable to me, and he doesn't ask for more than that. It is sad though and that's the hard part. To think he may destroy himself and never find the peace he uses drugs to find. He's a talented artist, loves to read about science and history, is gentle and funny with chidren and animals love him. All his relationships with women have ended over drugs and alcohol. I know this is not an unusual set of characteristics for an addict, but just a glimpse into who he is. When he's drunk he is surly and sloppy (that would be a good name for a "poster"). Well I better get on with things, thanks for listening. Oldbird
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

thank you for sharing your story . you have come to the right place . i am fairly new here myself and have rec'd so much wonderful advice and just plain friendship .. im glad you are here , your not alone .
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

and it sounds like you have much experience with addiction . so sorry for the loss of your sister . Im sure your heart aches for your son , there are many moms here of alcoholic sons , im sure you will be able to relate to their storys and them to yours .
Old 04-13-2007, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldbird View Post
... It is sad though and that's the hard part. To think he may destroy himself and never find the peace he uses drugs to find.

for me, the sadness i've felt has been the hardest part... i don't even feel sad for ME, i feel sad for my ex and the choices she's made and how she's still out drinking (even as we speak!) after a year of sobriety and being the most amazing person i'd ever met. it's the loss of human life that is so devastating... knowing they have so many special talents, so many gifts to offer the world... and they can't see it enough to want to make their lives better.

welcome to the board... everyone here has saved my life more than once.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome oldbird....glad you are here, but sorry for the need.

well, maybe i need to rethink that....the need to find recovery has been one of the best things that ever happened in my life. it led me on a journey i would have never, ever thought possible.

the walk through the fire, although painful and life changing, led me out to the other side.....the bright side.

keep coming back, ok???? we all need each other so much.

jeri
Old 04-13-2007, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome back--keep posting--stay strong--sounds like you are doing a great job with whats been dealt you...sounds just like my son to a tee--he is sober now--it can happen..It is always good to read others posts to not feel so alone isn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shepherds_lineup_for_cat.jpg (57.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-13-2007, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You have come to the right place. There are sooo many people here that relate and understand you....Please keep posting and reading.

Addiction is an awful disease, but together WE can recover , and like Embraced said, come out on the bright site.

Much love to you.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome

what a "hearty" welcome. I will keep posting and reading this site. I really feel blessed to have found it. I also love people's stories, they help me very much. There are some really humorous people on here too, and I find that helps immensely. I may have found a place today, but as it's Friday, I won't be sure until Mon. Praying he makes it through the weekend without a relapse. The nurse at the hosp said when some alcoholics go through detox and then drink, it can cause a seizure. This is what happened last night (Iposted more under alcohol withdrawal and strokes thread). He had two seizures within 1/2 hr. That was a scary thing to see. Thanks again to you all. Oldbird
Old 04-13-2007, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
full of hope

Hi Oldbird, Welcome! This is such a great place! So much to learn! Look forward to getting to know you more!

Welcome! Cheryl
Old 04-13-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You have faced many difficult challenges ... may you continue to find the strength to move forward in your live's journey and find the peace and serenity you so deserve.

Keep coming back .. this is a wonderful place to find support.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's nice to meet you, oldbird. keep coming back! k