Say a prayer - AH about to be tested

Old 04-06-2007, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Say a prayer - AH about to be tested

My AH is WILD about baseball. Opening night was last night. He has tickets for tonight's game. This is the first time he will be attending a baseball game without drinking. He says it is going to be "very different" watching a ball game without a beer. He says the two go together (baseball and beer). He doesn't want to give up his baseball.

He asked one of his AA buddies to go with him, but the buddy said this would be a real trigger for him, so he declined. Next, he is going to ask an addict friend. This friend's DOC is cocaine, not booze.

I think the "buddy system" is a real good idea, and I commend AH for thinking about this. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit worried. I know... I know... the 3 C's -- cause, control, cure. I know.

Life is going to be full of tests, and AH has to face them.

I just keep saying to myself, "God has either removed his addiction, or he has not... God has either removed his addiction, or he has not..." Dear God, please have removed his addiction.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

I live in a country where drinking is a almost a national sport-almost everything revolves round the old "bevy".

Mine stayed off the booze for 10years even among this and you said it yourself if he wants to stay off he will.

Hope he does

Old 04-06-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had the same problem when attending a few spring training games this year. I brought a sober friend of 1yr which was very helpful but not easy. Everywhere you go there's the cold beer guy shouting and tossing cold beers all around you. I made it with her help and we enjoyed the games. Tell him to fill up on all the stadium foods instead.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have faith in his recovery. I too am in AA...it arms you in sobriety much more than just quitting on your own. It's wonderful that he is getting on with life sober...going to baseball games which is a love of his. What a victory this will be for him if he goes and enjoys the game even more with a clear and open mind.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I've been to a few games sober, and have to say that it's so much more fun and enjoyable when I'm coherent and fully awake, rather than being a babbling idiot. I get a huge kick out of watching the drinkers make idiots of themselves I'm soooo glad those days are over!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ICU

Good for him for doing the buddy system. What is it they say? "There's strength in numbers"!

What are you going to be doing while he's at the game? Something fun I hope! ;-)
Old 04-06-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

praying---it will be good to enjoy all the things he used to without the alcohol
Old 04-06-2007, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The buddy system sounds like a great idea. Take a deep breath and have faith.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by hope2bhappy View Post
He asked one of his AA buddies to go with him, but the buddy said this would be a real trigger for him, so he declined. Next, he is going to ask an addict friend. This friend's DOC is cocaine, not booze.
His friend has the right idea, whats the problem with missing a game or two if your worried about picking up? Games will be there later, recovery might not be! Recovery must come 1st with me, above everything else or I have nothing.

Our disease is cunning, powerful and baffling.

Kevin
Old 04-06-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hope, i'll be thinking of you and your husband... please let us know how it goes
Old 04-06-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think the best part for me with my AS was when he could go out and I could detach myself from worrying about it--granted it creeps in everyonce and a while but it is a good feeling
Old 04-06-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Update...

Just wanted to let you all know that he just got home a little while ago. He had a great time at the game.

He went to his AA meeting first, but didn't find any available takers on such short notice (and on Easter weekend), so he went by himself. He didn't mind at all.

After he left for the evening, I didn't think about it anymore. What did I do? I cleaned house (ugh!). Now that the house is straight for Easter company, I can take time to go to a movie with a girlfriend tomorrow.

Thanks for holding my hand and for all the positive reinforcement. You are all great!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Dearest Hope:

I am so happy for you and for him!

2 side of the fencer here.

Just so darn happy that one experience

went well.

This for you both:

Love,

Sherry