Dateline NBC

Old 09-01-2006, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dateline NBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14627442/

This was a sad but eye opening story. Did anyone else catch it?
Old 09-01-2006, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll be sure to watch it tonight.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I saw it up until the last 15 minutes of it.

I could relate, esp. the drinking and driving part and the rolling black out....I dont recall what happen prior to my accident when i ran off the road and hit a concret culvert sitting on top the ground. That sent me to the hospital for 10 day with them removing my spleen and removing fluid in my lungs. I had many broken ribs and contusions and broken bones. I was a mess.

That was in Feb 90 and after 3 months of healing nicely i was right back out there drinking and driving again....this time i wanted to kill myself when i got home...so with a hand full of pain pills and the rest of my wine i engulfed it and went off to bed.....the next day a family intervention took place. My family did for me what i couldnt do for myself. That was in Aug 90. The progression of my disease was extremely rapid.

When i saw that show tonight and how that women was driving irratically on the slippery roads and made a turn around in the highway to end up going the wrong way.....well that was me....i did that and that could have very well been me killing someone....Thank God I didnt kill anyone.

As far as drinking...there was no moderation drinking....I either drank or i didnt.....and I drank and drank.....no inbetween.

Today...i still belive i am an alcoholic and can never drink sucessfully ever again are i will either get drunk, go crazy or die. Im not about to find out TODAY.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this............what a read!
Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Audrey studied not just to be a ballerina but the one you remembered and admired—a perfect dancer.
" A perfect dancer" There is a podcast you can download on itunes concerning alcoholism. Its called " Clancy on Alcoholism" I'm not sure who this Clancy is, a expert on Alcoholism......but one thing struck me in his speech. He said One trait alcoholics share is that they are "perfectionists"!! I read the MSNBC story and this stood out at me.

My wife was a perfectionist in her own way, perfect makeup, perfect hair, perfect family......at least that is how she wanted the world to see her.............

Is your A this way.......a perfectionist that does not somehow succeed in perfection?

I hate alcoholism! So much pain and tragedy.............so many never beat it!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

guy -

Clancy I. was a skid row drunk that became a highly paid executive and then was manager of the Midnight Mission which helped homeless drunks..

He's got over 47 years sobriety in AA...

He's got a great story...
Old 09-01-2006, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You don't have to have a Blackout to drive drunk!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

guy, if you want, go to Google and put in Clancy I, you should get info.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have heard Clancy I speak many times. He is my great-grandsponsor. Clancy.I -> Johny H. -> Gil G. -> me.

Clancy has said many times that he is _not_ an expert on alcoholism, he is only and expert on himself. He has said that he is just another drunk trying to stay sober one day at a time.

Mike
Old 09-02-2006, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

http://www.xa-speakers.org/

Recordings of several of Clancy I.'s talks (free! online!!)
Old 09-02-2006, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks.....He is a good speaker!

What do you think about his "perfectionist" as a commom trait in Alcholism?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

NO, I did not see it, but thank you for sharing the story. I pasted the story address into my email and mailed it to several people to share. Very sad story.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by guyinNC
Thanks.....He is a good speaker!

What do you think about his "perfectionist" as a commom trait in Alcholism?

OMG...YES!!!! That hit me like a 2x4 across the head when I read that,too (about having to be THE best..)....ALL the A's in my life have that common trait; most especially as it applies to themselves! (though hard to see,sometimes...in fact they seem to "give up"in some areas because of it). Makes "living life on life's terms" imposssible, IMHO. Extrememly frustrating to live and see. (Difficult to be the wife or child of someone who truly believes "perfection" is being attained by others and therefore is a realistic goal...) At least, in my experience.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I totally agree. My ex AH used to hold myself and the children to higher heights than he could ever even THINK of reaching...cleaning, chores, school work, you name it. As far as me, he never picked me apart to my face but rather oggled and fooled around with women who were nothing like me, leaving me of course to assume that I certainly did not "measure up".

Nothing was ever good enough for him. Since he has been out of the house, I feel so free and now, everything I do, I do because I want to do it, not because I'm TOLD to.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

From the way u guys r sharing, i must have watched another documentary on tv different from yours.

This one was about a woman who shared her story about MM...MODERATION MANAGEMENT. The Author of Moderate Drinking was writing by Audrey Kishline.
A Guide for people who want to reduce their drinking...u can find her book on Amazon.

Anyway...come to find out, moderation doesnt work . This lady tragically cause a fatal accident and was or is serving time for vehicular homicide.

Was i the only one to see this episode? : )
Old 09-02-2006, 10:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90

Was i the only one to see this episode? : )

Hi,Sharon. I did not see the episode; via the link I read the transcripts from the show.

Very sad,indeed...but with some real miracles along the way,too.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I didn't see the show on Audrey Kishline, but I read the entire story on the MSNBS website by following the link.

Many Alcoholics believe that they can continue to drink - it is called "harm reduction" or "moderation managament".

I used to think that complete abstinence was the only way, but I have seen my daughter's life improve over the past year - she still drinks, but much less often, and without the terrible, life threatening episodes that were happening last year.

...so I don't really know what to think.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing ur thoughts on the Audry Kishline episode on Tv....i may bring it up top to a thread and put it out there so others can jump in and share what they think of MM...Moderation Management. If ud like, come join me there to help start it off. Oh to see u there. : )
Old 09-02-2006, 02:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14627442/

Mike
Old 09-02-2006, 02:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90
From the way u guys r sharing, i must have watched another documentary on tv different from yours.
We are referring to the same show. This has gone off topic a bit but the link at the top is referencing the show itself.