Addicted sister

Old 12-20-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicted sister

Hi there
I'm new to this, I've just found out my sister is using heroin, yesterday she told me. I am heart broken, can't stop worrying, crying....the usual I suppose.
My sister has always had her demons, she also has always drank alcohol and taken drugs all through her teenage years and adult life. She's now 34. She would have alcohol and cocaine, mostly recreational drugs, I suppose in some way I think this was inevitable but somehow I'm absolutely shocked and devastated for her. But now it's crack and heroin. She's been using for 6 weeks and is hooked. Is it early enough do you think for an intervention and to stop this? She said she has only told me because she wants to get help and stop. She is married and has a daughter, she's worried she will get taken away if she goes for help. I've called a drug line and rehab is very expensive. Sorry for my rambling, I just need to know what I should do and how I can help her. We are so close and I feel her pain, so much. This morning I woke up and my husband said I should tell my parents. I know my sister does not want that but I'm torn on what to do for the best. Please any help and advice would be much appreciated at this time.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If she has insurance or Medicaid - it should be covered or at least detox. As we often find here - help is a call away for the addict, they usually do not want the help though.

Be cautious of the words and sympathy. Heroin is a special beast that alters the mind. They will lie, manipulate and gas light to get what they need. They play on everyone's sympathy.

Guilt is their ally.

I am so very sorry that you are going thru this.

You can read more info in the stickies on the forum: Friends and Family of Substance Abusers

Check on the stories of others. You are not alone.

There is a lot of Experience shared - in the hopes that it saves one soul from what we have been thru.

I am saying a prayer for you and your family - please keep sharing. It helps.

Hugs Ang1,
Joie
Old 12-20-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi thanks so much for your advice,
We actually live in the uk and rehab is private and at least £3000-4000 for a 2 weeks stint.
I've spoken to her today and we are going to see the doctor tomorrow. It's a first step I suppose. I feel like she's not at the lying or denial stage. I feel if I'm honest she does want this help
And wants to get clean. My only worry is that her psychological side is what might pull her back in. She needs help with that the most as that is without doubt the catalyst to all of this.
Thanks you so much for your prayers.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Science and Scripture

My son was a heroin addict living on the street. People change when they hurt enough and have to or learn enough and want to. People change when they decide to change. They change when their thinking values trump their emotional feelings. You sister has much to value. Hopefully her treatment will include the cause of her feelings and how she can regain control of her life with healthy behavior and not substitute behavior of the quick fix or mood changer of drugs. My prayers are with you.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you.
I believe she does want to change. She's sick of being this mess. I just hope the help we can get can make a real change for her. I don't want her past demons to destroy her completely. She struggles everyday. But I do know she loves her daughter so much and her husband. They are well off enough to perhaps pay this habit but yes where does that lead? It's only a downward spiral isn't it? She's a very intelligent girl and I know she will be honest with me and tell me the truth, she could of not told me and carried on doing this in secret, so from that I know she wants to change and get help.
Thanks for your kind words and prayers ❤️