AS 2 months in Rehab;just smoked Spice

Old 02-21-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question AS 2 months in Rehab;just smoked Spice

AS has been doing well in a 60day restricted program. he has been antsy to get out and has been for legal and medical reasons.
He's had a few challenges lately, like finding out about possible criminal threat charges against him when he was using 6 months ago, which should resolve well and probably not even be filed.
Frustration tolerance is low. He's been self medicating for 10 years with heroin. After letting him reach bottom, he finally went to detox and rehab. Has a total of 71 days clean and just got out on a weekend pass. Let him come home for weekend, Felt he earned that.

Yesterday,I find out rehab sent him to ER since he passed outHeart rate up to 170 and he could have had a heart attack! He didn't want to go back to rehab after that & figured he was kicked out. He decided to go back on his own and was still given his first weekend pass.

Later found out it was due to smoking Spice. Just did it one time to try to deal with rehab. They are very strict there and authoritarian and accepting limits is hard for him. (like most addicts)

Came back from a cigarette and was really goofy and silly. This morning found out he had Spice in his pouch. Searched when he went to bathroom. Boy, my old ways die hard. I took the spice from his pouch, which he had on him, but he was so goofy he didn't resist. Told him I should send him back to rehab and he couldn't stay with me if he chooses to use. Decided to give him chance to reset and see if we could have a good weekend with him respecting my boundaries.

He doesn't want to be in the rehab anymore, but will stick it out until he has 90 days. He is going to mental health, getting counseling, seeking housing,etc and I will also help him obtain low income housing to get started. He wants to work, but rehab won't allow job search until after 90 days. His counselor has allowed him to go on one interview, but she has to follow company policy.

I admire where he has demonstrated responsibility and sticking to his program. I also really want him to get his own spot so he can be independent. He's still angry about not being able to live with me, but that's how it goes. He caused me to have to move last time or else be evicted because of his behavior.

I don't want to be manipulated, do want to acknowledge where he has improved, and help him on his way. If he chooses to get loaded when he's on his own, that's up to him. I can't control it.

So, looking for feedback about this latest spice thing and all.
Thank you!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

vaya, you sound like you are in a 'good place' with all of this, and I'm very happy to hear that. I know what it takes to achieve that. I'm really happy that your son has made this much progress! That is great news!!

Our lives are so much more peaceful now that "Jr." no longer lives under his father's roof. He was kicked out during the halcyon 'crack' days and protested quite a bit as well. "Jr." hasn't lived at home for a few years now, and he still drinks and makes unwise choices, but at least we do not have a front-row seat for it. Nor are we supporting his addiction by financially supporting him.

Thank you for sharing, vaya!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi vaya,

Does the rehab know he smoked spice?

l don't have any positive experiences with rehab so I can't offer any good feedback.
It looks like you are making good choices and it's good your son is still willing to hang in there. Knowing he can't come back to your home is probably the best motivation to complete the program.