Just wondering...

Old 07-30-2006, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wondering...

Why do some ppl who use 12 step orientated programs mainly on their road to recovery feel such a need to defend themselves and got such a hard time with this forum? After all there is an AA and a NA forum at SoberRecovery already which are there to stay. SoberRecovery claims to have lotsa sources of information for ppl who want to recover but it seems to me 12 steps put a big mark on it all, no surprise as they're the most known but I do feel that this forum doesn't get a fair chance this way.

Marte
Old 07-30-2006, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

I am one of those 12 step people that post in this forum.

I post here not to defend NA, but to share my experience with working a 12 step program while remaining secular (mainly to dispell the myth that it isn't possible to do so).

This forum isn't a non-12 step forum, it's a secular forum. I don't have a problem with this forum, I am very happy it is here.

I'd personally love to hear about other programs that help out secular people, but there just seems to be somewhat of a lack of experience of that here. I know there are programs out there like life ring, SMARTrecovery and rational recovery and I'd be happy for someone to share their experiences with them so I can know more about them.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't direct this post towards you, Blake, as you seem someone who is genuinly interested and not here to defend NA as being the only way.

Marte
Old 07-30-2006, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Blake
I am one of those 12 step people that post in this forum.

I post here not to defend NA, but to share my experience with working a 12 step program while remaining secular (mainly to dispell the myth that it isn't possible to do so).

This forum isn't a non-12 step forum, it's a secular forum. I don't have a problem with this forum, I am very happy it is here.

I'd personally love to hear about other programs that help out secular people, but there just seems to be somewhat of a lack of experience of that here. I know there are programs out there like life ring, SMARTrecovery and rational recovery and I'd be happy for someone to share their experiences with them so I can know more about them.
Blake, you're pretty damn cool. I do have some experience with LifeRing/SOS. Mostly online, but I attended a couple of f2f meetings in Northern Cali, while visiting family. I also tried to get a f2f going in my area a couple of times.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

BSP:
I honestly think it's just a matter of time as the whole site adjusts to the new forum.
Share away your secular views by all means!!!
We want them!

Shalom!
Old 07-30-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok well I follow the SMART program and I could babble a lot about it, it mainly believes you are in control of your behavior and it follows REBT principles, I'll type more later when I got more time.

Marte