Tolerance.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Tolerance.

Voltaire:
“What is tolerance? -- it is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly -- that is the first law of nature.”
this seems to me such a fine alternative to resentment, anger, annoyance, and judgement. What I like about it too is the sense of pardoning my own follies!! Although it isn't stated explicitly in the quote I think it becomes a logical part of what's said.

Last of all is the sense of being formed of frailty and error - that at first reminded me of teachings I dislike such as human nature being evil. But when I looked at it again, more carefully at the words used I warmed to it.

Objectively I can see my own frailty, I will be effected by disease and I will die but more than that - if I have the courage to learn then inevitabley by inviting new ideas I will always be at risk of picking the wrong ones. My body has frailty, I accept that easily, my mind and reasoning have frailties that's also easy to accept, the one I find most challenging but helpful to accept is that my personality - who I am has frailties too.

If I'm to keep the courage to learn, if I want to invite and enjoy seeing my own errors, if I want to remain happy while I shape who I am nearer and nearer to who I want to be - then I need to accept without anger or frustration my own frailty and error. And if I want the above for other's then I need to do just as Voltaire suggests.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I nearly hit the thanks tab to say thanks for the thanks but then I would have thanked myself which thankfully I didn't do!!

I'll just chalk it up as a narrow scrape with error - oh and thanks!!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

(psstt...equus, I did that by mistake on one of my posts. I meant to hit "edit" and hit the thanks instead! So, I thanked myself for the "helpful post." Don't feel alone! )

Shalom!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

equus
Old 07-13-2006, 04:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Eq. I need to remember this. I really do.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You know what? I realised the above goes along way to making me realise WHY I think forgiveness is so important. I've always felt forgiveness is important despite no belief in being ordered to do it - it makes sense logically as a way to be at peace with myself too.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Speaking of political correctness, I am in an internet cafe run by some muslum chaps. The one behind the counter, much to my horror, just farted.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Farts are funny!!! I'm proud to say I taught D to fart properly (I think he used to sneak them out - now he's got the whole celebration thing going!!).
Old 07-14-2006, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
alconaut

That's flatulence, people, flatulence.

The guy behind the counter flatulated, lol.

Man, that's just WRONG..... ugh.

I'm glad I don't do that.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Perhaps flatulance is a folly we have all succumbed to, and flatulance in public an error we have all made....

The best farts are brain farts!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by equus
You know what? I realised the above goes along way to making me realise WHY I think forgiveness is so important. I've always felt forgiveness is important despite no belief in being ordered to do it - it makes sense logically as a way to be at peace with myself too.
Right. Otherwise you get this uneasy feeling in your gut that won't go away.

Forgiveness is healthy. For you and I.

I might hold hurt feelings or disappointments, perhaps, but there's a difference..... I never hold resentments or carry hate.

They're like acid.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everyone in the cafe kind of looked up from their computers when it happened, and then settled back to surfing again. I had a grin on my face.