Thread: Tolerance.
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 02:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
equus

Lightbulb Tolerance.

Voltaire:
“What is tolerance? -- it is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly -- that is the first law of nature.”
this seems to me such a fine alternative to resentment, anger, annoyance, and judgement. What I like about it too is the sense of pardoning my own follies!! Although it isn't stated explicitly in the quote I think it becomes a logical part of what's said.

Last of all is the sense of being formed of frailty and error - that at first reminded me of teachings I dislike such as human nature being evil. But when I looked at it again, more carefully at the words used I warmed to it.

Objectively I can see my own frailty, I will be effected by disease and I will die but more than that - if I have the courage to learn then inevitabley by inviting new ideas I will always be at risk of picking the wrong ones. My body has frailty, I accept that easily, my mind and reasoning have frailties that's also easy to accept, the one I find most challenging but helpful to accept is that my personality - who I am has frailties too.

If I'm to keep the courage to learn, if I want to invite and enjoy seeing my own errors, if I want to remain happy while I shape who I am nearer and nearer to who I want to be - then I need to accept without anger or frustration my own frailty and error. And if I want the above for other's then I need to do just as Voltaire suggests.