Notices

Newcomer here

Old 06-27-2006, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer here

Hi,

This is my first post. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all! I am a stay at home mom who has started to look forward to that wine with dinner a little too much, and I want to try to nip this in the bud. Too many precious lives at stake, and I have seen where alcohol has lead my husband.

Thanks in advance for your support! I'll probably need it around five o-clock!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

IceTea,
Welcome to the boards!!!!! One Day At A Time!!!!! This place is awesome....the support is unbelievable!!!!! Hang in there, post away whenever you want to.........Keep us up to date and around 5, give us a shout, thats what we are here for, I have days when Im posting faster then the boards can keep up lol, it really helps me to NOT drink!!!!!!!!
Liss
Old 06-27-2006, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome iceteaplease, this place is good for the soul . On days Im not drunk I come here and read people's posts its great.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Welcome Icetea and glad that you are here! Hope that you can find what you are looking for here, this is a very active forum board so you should get many responses. I am off to work but had to say HI

Love Vic
Old 06-27-2006, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile Sharing My Esh With You

Hi, Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Thanks icetea for sharing and welcome.

I was a stay at home mom for 16 yrs myself. Half of those yrs. was spent drinking in the afternoon after i got my 2 little ones down for a nap. And that was just the beginning. I drank until i was numb then called it a night. But.....i wasnt a fallin down drunk. Sure i got nauseus many times and moody and angry and argumentative. Then i began to take my drinking outside the house to a neaby club to be around others that drank like i and to whin down from a "hectic day at home with the family."

No one at home drank, so i wanted to be around others that did. When i went to the club i could be anything i wanted. Just let my hair down and go for it. I loved the lights, music, men , dancing, flirting, etc. I didnt bring alot of money with me, so i drank to get the buzz at home, then poured a TALL cup of wine to take with me on the road. HOW DANGEROUS WAS THAT?

I could have killed someone on the road with the way i was driving, esp racing other cars. ME....NA....BUT.....I almost killed myself. Feb 90 on my way home , less than a mile from home, i ran off the road thru some construction hitting a concrete culvert sitting on top the ground. The EMS was called to cut me out of the wreckage and haul me off to the hospital where i spent 10 day with them removing my spleen are i would have bled to death.

3 months i healed nicely with pain pills. Was the coast cleared for me to drink? Let's see.....i took a drink in Aug 90 and tried to end my miserable life. The progression of my disease was extremely rapid that i wanted to kill myself. I had no other choice because i had tried countless times to quit drinking on my own to only fail. ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH.

So when my little ones couldnt wake me to attend their last day of vacation bible school...The family stepped in and did an intervention on me. To this day i believe my Higher Power was with me. After the kids were unsuccessful in waking me up, i heard a faint ring of the phone next to my bed that allowed me to reach for it. With slurred speech and numbness i heard a voice telling me to get up. Was it my Higher Power calling me? I Believe that it was.

Anyway....the police was called with a court order to take me off to rehab with the first night spent in the crazy ward. After passing all the test they threw at me i was ordered up stairs to Silkworth Treatment Center where i spent 28 days recieving the knowledge and tools of recovery and how to stay sober one day at a time.

Today I continue to incorporate the 12 steps in my eavery day life to the best of my ability and sharing my ESH with u.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Icedtea. I am somewhat new here also. (2 weeks.) There are some excellent posts here, and incredible support from everyone. I wish you the best!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Sounds like you may have recognized your drinking pattern just in time - that is one good thing! The other good this is that you found SR! Hope you post around 5 0'clock!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Welcome Icetea! It really is a good thing if you are so early in your alcohol abuse. SO glad you are here! You really can do without that alcohol it takes you making the solid choice to give it up. You can do it!

Suga
Old 06-27-2006, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Welcome to SR!! So glad you are here!!

I too was a stay at home mom and I also watched my nephew. My drinking went from having just a couple before they picked the kids up, (just starting for the evening, you know). To starting at 11:00 in the morning.

My life is so much better now!! We are here for you and we understand!!

Keep posting!!
Hugs,
Missy
Old 06-27-2006, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad that you joined us! We are all here to listen and help. We do understand!
Old 06-27-2006, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your warm welcome. It is amazing to me how easily a bottle of wine can slip away while you cook...yikes! I appreciate your sharing your stories, and I will post this evening...
Old 06-27-2006, 08:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally posted by iceteaplease:
This is my first post. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all! I am a stay at home mom who has started to look forward to that wine with dinner a little too much, and I want to try to nip this in the bud. Too many precious lives at stake, and I have seen where alcohol has lead my husband.

Thanks in advance for your support! I'll probably need it around five o-clock!
Hello! I'm really glad you're here.

I'm a stay at home mom, too. What you posted sounds exactly like where I was about 3 years ago. Unfortunately, I let it get a lot further than that before finally admitting I had a problem. GOOD FOR YOU, catching it before it gets worse!

Do stick around here at SR--it's truly the best place on the internet, and was a godsend for me. When 5:00 rolls around, log in and hang with us until the urge passes. (Of course you'll probably be trying to cook dinner, wrangle kids, etc..... )

Do you get much time to read? There are a couple books that have been valuable to me in my "sobriety quest" if you're interested.

Best wishes,
Jane
Old 06-27-2006, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi there Iceteaplease,

Welcome and, I like your name! Its making me thirsty....

I could NOT have had the quality of recovery that I enjoy without SR as well as my program which includes spiritual connection and fellowship. The "witching hour", or, the time that wine would call my name, used to be 7pm. Its a miracle that the obsession has been lifted, and, coming here and reading/posting at my vulnerable times helped tremendously.
Eventually, I walked into some AA meetings and found a few that work for me, so I go there at "wine time"

These things work for me. Good luck and congratulations on your awareness at this stage of your life.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I hope that you find what you need to help you and remember, we are here for you!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, icetea. I hope you become a regular. I'm interested in your line, "I have seen where alcohol has lead my husband." Would you like to tell us more? Your focus needs to be on you right now, but more information might help us help you. You're as anonymous as can be. "US" is a big location.

Thanks so much for your share, Sharon. It brought tears. May God continue to bless you as you keep on keeping on.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello Icetea,
I too am new, just today, and i too am a stay at home mom, as after reading these replies, i see there are a lot of us in the same position..i hope to learn more about you too..i have learned that when i somehow try to be there for someone else, offer any support i can in my short time of recovery, it helps me to stay sober a little longer, and then i find myself sober another day..it is awesome..Keep Coming Back, i can already tell that this is the place that i am meant to be..so, for today, i am where i am suppose to be..Welcome..
Old 06-27-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, five o'clock has come and gone and I have not had any wine, nor is there any in my house. Unfortunately I live in a cosmopolitan city where tempting outdoor cafes abound and there are lovely wine shops on practically every block. It looks like everyone is drinking all the time, or so my mind justifies my recently nightly bottle. How easy it can be to deceive myself as to what "normal drinking" is. Yikes.

It will be so nice to wake up full of energy tomorrow! Thanks again for all the support and welcomes.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hector
Welcome, icetea. I hope you become a regular. I'm interested in your line, "I have seen where alcohol has lead my husband." Would you like to tell us more? Your focus needs to be on you right now, but more information might help us help you. You're as anonymous as can be. "US" is a big location.

Thanks so much for your share, Sharon. It brought tears. May God continue to bless you as you keep on keeping on.
My husband is an active alcoholic and watching his progress has really frightened me. He has an excellent doctor, all available resources, and has been to rehab twice. He relapses more and more frequently.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by iceteaplease
Well, five o'clock has come and gone and I have not had any wine, nor is there any in my house
Welcome to SR Iceteaplease, GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
I used to think everyone else was drinking all the time and having fun,
but when I got sober I realized that it just was not so.
More often people were having one or none,
stick with the Ice Tea, your for sure in good company here!!!
Look forward to seeing you here at 5 pm for "happy hour" when you can,
Take care
Old 06-27-2006, 03:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know its not gonna be easy. But one thing i hear in early recovery was to CHANGE people places and things that remind me of alcohol. For me seeing anything that looks like alcohol just looks like POISON. The word POISON written in BIG BLACK LETTERS with a skull and cross bone on it. That's all it is to me. And what does poison do to me if i drink it? It will KILL ME which it almost did. But for the Grace of my Higher Power I am here today to share my ESH with u and others.

Take care of u icetea because U ...YOU.... R THAT IMPORTANT TO US.

Keep coming back. Love and Care.