Notices

Good hobby to waste some time.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile Good hobby to waste some time.

Hey guys, been trying to think of a good hobby...but needed some assistance.

What sort of things do you guys do when trying to keep your mind off the fix?

Excercise? Puzzles, Model Airplanes, Paintins, Drawings, archery?

I'm trying to think of things at night, that will relieve some stress, keep my mind off things, and also provide me with some redeeming satisfaction to keep myself motivated and interested.

ANy ideas?

Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, this is a great topic, JuniorNA.

Exercise is first on my list - it makes me feel good and I can stay motivated with the results I get. I personally am a book worm, too, and order most of my books online through the library. I read a bunch of books on a subject I am interested in and then move on to the next subject that catches my eye.

What are some of your interests? There are so many clubs and organizations out there that I am sure a little research on the net will point the way.

And, how about volunteer work? I love animals and I just signed up to help the wildlife rescue organization here locally. I am really excited about that.

How about the rest of us? Can we add to this list?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of the many things I've been doing to keep my mind off drinking is playing mind-numbing video games.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Working out at the gym is one of my favs.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Excercise would be the best that I can think of but it isn't on my list of favorite things to do.

Ceramics, model airplanes, RC models, fly tieing, fishing, archery, photography, getting involved (service work) Going back to school.
Motorcycle rides/repair.
I have found that sober there is no limit to what I can try doing to keep me enjoying life. My only limits are a lack of skills or talents in some areas. Skills can be something I can work on in any area as well.

Great subject... has refreshed my thinking that sober is freedom.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Excersize is a must to keep the energy flowing.
Beyond that, skies the limit....

I like best's idea about RC models. Always wanted to put a little video camera on an RC helicopter...
Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by AndrewBeen
Always wanted to put a little video camera on an RC helicopter...
An EMT at the local hospital wants to fly one on the landing pad atop the hospital *LOL*
Old 06-01-2006, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Good topic dude.

For me I like to journal (www.junkylife.com/blake/) I like to watch movies and read books......I like to play some video games.......I am involved in the activites comittee in my local area of NA and we are allways planning something....I'm the webmaster of a couple of other websites.....all this along with working on my recovery keeps me very busy.....
Old 06-01-2006, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I get enough excercise outside and chasing my kids around...so I have really always loved puzzles and had not done one in forever. I got back into it when I quit using. I forgot how fun they are. I'm like phinny a book worm too. I also by some bad choices do community service at the humane society, but I LOVE it and plan on volunteering after my time is done.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

There's a link here somewhere about all the things you can do besides drink/drug. Anyone know where it is? It has over 100 things!!

Good luck to ya, Junior! You made a GREAT decision!!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel your pain

Im new to recovery and it is a bitch. I love it, but it's hard I have been outside alot. I have a X360, I love to play my guitar, but I can't seem to get going on anything. I want to write a song about addiction and recovery,but it's like there is an invisible force holding me down. Anyone got any kick in the ass and get going ideas?

P.S. This is my first post
Old 06-01-2006, 11:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

welcome rehab.....I suggest you take some of your sponsor's suggestions and get on that writing.........

also, this site is an excellent place to come post and vent and kill time...
Old 06-03-2006, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
REZ

Hobbies:
Exercise, music (piano), gardening.
And of course family and work keep me busy.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Nice answers guys. You're all the best.

Here are my recent activities throughout the week, could be at any given time.

1. Mind Numbing video games (as the previous poster said, lol). I try to devote some of my time to PS2. It loves me, so I must show it love as well
About 10 hours a week.
2. guitar - I'm horrible, but getting better. Been about 6 months, and I've been getting decent with tab reading (about 2 hours a week).

3. Golf - 1 time a week (atleast). I shoot in the mid 80s. Although I try to take off of work more, I'm averaging about 1.5 rounds a week.

4. Computers (i'm a computer geek, but a cool computer geek). Always downloading new stuff, and learning about new electronics.

5. Movies, Movies, Movies, Movies, I've seen about 75% of movies created in the last 100 years. LOL. And of course, Spinal Tap is still on my top 5 list.

6. Not big on books, read a few here and there by King. but I dont find it as redeeming as a movie does. Probably as I get older, I'll be able to relax and read a book.

7. Exercise, try to do that at least 2-3 times a week. (need to jump that up a little bit).

8. Just bought an R/C Helicopters, RC Heli's are the hardest things in the world to fly, 10x harder than any R/C airplane. That will give me something to learn and think about, and mod, and upgrade...etc.

9. My dog.

Thanks for all the thoughts. Sometimes I get into these routines so much, that all the current list of hobbies just feels like normal life and not a hobby...which is why I get in these moods and want to start something completely new, that challenging as well, and of course, rewarding.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing it, JuniorNA. This is a great thread that can spark all of our imaginations and interests. Yes, there really IS life after drugs, eh?

Old 06-05-2006, 01:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Service work is also a great way to spend your spare time