Notices

maybe someone has been in my shoes

Old 05-28-2006, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

maybe someone has been in my shoes

i am and old 19 as i would put it. i have been drinking since i was 15 and just realized i had a problem about 6 months ago. since then i have managed to cut back on the drinking for a good 3 months i started smoking pot heavily. i hid it from my girlfriend who was an hour away. i finally realized to make a change i had to come clean about things. so i told her everything that had happened and said i would do aa or na which ever helped. i went to one aa meeting but felt i didnt really fit in because alcohol wasn't really my problem any more. i live in olathe kansas and i would like to find a na meeting close by. i need to do something. its time for me to change everything. no more lies no more substances. i want to do it for myself but i also have to do it for her. she is asking me to prove that she can trust me because i have lied to her a lot.i feel as if i have ended the lies and that maybe i really have changed, but i don't kno how to prove that. if this sounds familiar i would really like to hear your story. i am new to this so i will just make it simple. you can email me - any advise would be greatly appriciated.

Last edited by Phinneas; 05-28-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I searched for a 30 mile radious and here it is the link I will also email it to you..Hope that you stick around here also, things will get better, they might get a lot worse but we just need to hand on.

Love Vic

http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/
Old 05-28-2006, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, growingup. Welcome to SR. Glad you're here!

Congrats to you for seeking answers. Addiction is tough. Many of us tried over and over again to stop on our own and just couldn't STAY stopped without the help of a program of recovery like NA. I hope you find what you are looking for and soon. 19 is a great time to stop for good. I have friends in the program who stopped at 17 and 18 years old, so there is certainly hope for a better life now.

:Wgla

P.S. I removed your e-mail addy from you post for your own protection. Members can post here, PM or e-mail you via your profile so it's all good.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckyv2
I searched for a 30 mile radious and here it is the link I will also email it to you..Hope that you stick around here also, things will get better, they might get a lot worse but we just need to hand on.

Love Vic

http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/
Vic, SoberRecovery is very lucky to have a member like you here.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by growingup
...no more lies no more substances. i want to do it for myself but i also have to do it for her. she is asking me to prove that she can trust me because i have lied to her a lot.i feel as if i have ended the lies and that maybe i really have changed, but i don't kno how to prove that. if this sounds familiar i would really like to hear your story.
Growing up,
Your story is not familiar to me but I'll write anyway. At age 19 there's no way I'd have admitted to, much less recognzied, the fact I was lying to protect my drug use. Certainly I had justifiable REASONS for using, and I kept on justifying/ rationalizing my use for some 17 MORE years before realizing that I was lying/ deceiving/ distorting/ avoiding the truth. So I'm SO IMPRESSED by your ability to see through your own addiction and make the necessary changes, as you can see what you'd be giving up if you do not.

Your actions, behavior, attitude will be your proof. Stay straight and honest, hang on to it...Your integrity will serve you well through life.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
REZ

Welcome to SR. I got clean and sober at age 21 years, 10 months by going to NA meetings and taking the suggestions and advice offered to me by people who had succeeeded in staying clean. I now have 21 years clean and sober. At age 21, I sometimes felt like I might be too young to get clean, but I'm very glad that I stuck with the program. I think it's great that you're getting clean at 19. You have an opportunity to live life and avoid misery.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're doing the right thing. I'm almost 23 now and have been getting clean & sober in the Kansas City area as well. There is a great NA group in Olathe called "Crossroads" and there are about 40 more in or around the metro. PM please if you need any advice or suggestions. My homegroup is in Grandview and I would be happy to help in anyway I can right. Oh and by the way congrats on starting to take that first step man that is huge!!

Paul